• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Carlton PSA 10?

10 posts in this topic

After having my baseball cards after 15 years passed down from my step mother's brother, the cards weren't touched for 30+ years kept in good environment and I kept them safe from any natural disaster, I decided to go through them finally I found 2 Steve Carltons from 1985. Doing more research they are both Tiffany cards? Also one has a very weird border on it; it's like they just stamped it on and said good enough not sure if that's a mistake or not because my second card is more centered then the other does them being held with care, with gloves as I looked through them, as well as corners looking crispy as all can be have some value? I can't seem to find a PSA 10 with the border like the one I have. Does it increase in value or decreases it?

On 9/22/2022 at 5:54 AM, KennyJames73 said:

After having my baseball cards after 15 years passed down from my step mother's brother, the cards weren't touched for 30+ years kept in good environment and I kept them safe from any natural disaster, I decided to go through them finally I found 2 Steve Carltons from 1985. Doing more research they are both Tiffany cards? Also one has a very weird border on it; it's like they just stamped it on and said good enough not sure if that's a mistake or not because my second card is more centered then the other does them being held with care, with gloves as I looked through them, as well as corners looking crispy as all can be have some value? I can't seem to find a PSA 10 with the border like the one I have. Does it increase in value or decreases it?

we need a picture to tell, but it sounds like the card is off center decreasing value, psa10 or csg 10 condition cards are very rare especially as old as steve carlton, the border has to almost perfect all the way around on front and back, Some products like 1981 topps might not have a perfectly centered card in the whole entire product it might have maybe 5 or 10 psa 10's in existence, and it would have to be stored right. A screw down holder or top loader without a sleeve is enough to damage a card with indentations, causing it to decrease in value, its very unlikely you have a 10 or close too

On 10/1/2022 at 7:36 AM, micky 8 said:

we need a picture to tell, but it sounds like the card is off center decreasing value, psa10 or csg 10 condition cards are very rare especially as old as steve carlton, the border has to almost perfect all the way around on front and back, Some products like 1981 topps might not have a perfectly centered card in the whole entire product it might have maybe 5 or 10 psa 10's in existence, and it would have to be stored right. A screw down holder or top loader without a sleeve is enough to damage a card with indentations, causing it to decrease in value, its very unlikely you have a 10 or close too

Not sure what the problem with Kenny is.  This is at least the 3rd time he has posted this.  I asked him for pictures in one of his earlier posts and he never uploaded any.  I also told him that a 10 grade is generally not going to happen for a card of that vintage.  Also, even if it is a 10, that card is not what I would consider highly valuable or highly desired by the average collector.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:13 PM, Junk Wax Addict said:

Not sure what the problem with Kenny is.  This is at least the 3rd time he has posted this.  I asked him for pictures in one of his earlier posts and he never uploaded any.  I also told him that a 10 grade is generally not going to happen for a card of that vintage.  Also, even if it is a 10, that card is not what I would consider highly valuable or highly desired by the average collector.

you can try n help dudes new to the hobby but its tough to explain how stringent the grading process is even experienced collectors think theres a conspiracy against there cards ha 

I am sorry everyone working long hours and for some reason I don't have my notifications on my phone turned on for this website but I can't add my photos because for some reason it exceeds the 4.88 mb to post it my Facebook is Kenny Davis with a dog as the profile pic I'm really wanting the help.

And to junk wax I apologize I didnt see the replies to my previous posts because I couldn't find where to go to see my old posts, is why I repeated my questions I also do have a 101t Emmit smith card in pretty good condition as well but all my photos for some reason exceed the 4.88 mb mark 

On 10/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, KennyJames73 said:

I am sorry everyone working long hours and for some reason I don't have my notifications on my phone turned on for this website but I can't add my photos because for some reason it exceeds the 4.88 mb to post it my Facebook is Kenny Davis with a dog as the profile pic I'm really wanting the help.

Were your pictures supposed to be posted to your Facebook page? If I landed on the right Kenny James, I didn’t see any pictures of cards. Can you save the pics to your computer and then upload from there?  You may have to use some basic editing software to get the file size down to the cap.  I know with IPhones, you can email pictures and it will ask what size photo you want sent. In this case, I would pick the option for the largest file size that is under the cap.  I hope this gives you a few options to have the pictures uploaded.  If all else fails, maybe the good folks that moderate this forum would be able to upload the pics for you.

If you need a card to gem mint to be profitable, then you really shouldn't submit it IMO. I have sent many amazing 1980's card to CSG and I have yet to receive any CSG 10's, but tons of CSG 9.5's. CSG Gem Rate for the 80's is about 2%. I am sorry, but if you don't have a mint to gem mint HOF rookie from the 1980's, the card is not worth much. You can try to play the PSA 10 game, but you will end up losing in the end unless you send in one card, and it gets a PSA 10. Gem Mint cards don't mean pack fresh and handles with gloves. They need to have near perfect surface, registration, corners, edges, printing, gloss, centering, cut to the right size, etc... The fact is the quality control and printing were absolutely horrible in the junk wax era. Well, it still is today. ;)