• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Junk Wax Era

10 posts in this topic

Old articles are about as much good as last months Shohei Ohtani Gem 10 prices...out dated.

Plus Hockey is what I'm most interested in information on. 

What this Junk Wax topic is for is those guys on top of Junk Wax era like whipped cream on a Pumpkin Spice Mocachino. Experts.

On 4/1/2021 at 8:06 AM, Greg Christiansen said:

I'd like to know more about junk wax specifically top Hockey cards but also Baseball, Basketball, Football and Soccer, actually all cards from this era. Olympics, Boxing, Wrestling etc.

This is my wheel house, especially the early 90s. Compared to baseball and basketball for this era, hockey graded single populations are relatively low in a 10s. Upper Deck boxes for 90-91 and 91-92 are inexpensive and loaded with rookie cards in the high and low series. OPC Premier boxes are much more expensive but have the best ROI for the rookie class. Jagr rookies from OPC Premier are the king, selling anywhere from $200-700. The Upper Deck values are much lower, but still a solid card at a 10.

Other 90-91 OPC/Upper Deck rookies with value @ 10: Modano, Fedorov, Mogilny, Joseph, Holik, Bonda, Richter, Roenick, Sundin, Recci, Belfour (not in OPC), Domi (not in UD), Niedermeyer (not in UD)

90-91 Score is very cheap but has Brodeur's only rookie. Jagr, Modano, and Lindros are in this too. Boxes of this are about $10 each, but it's very hard to get a 10 on the singles since they're often off center and have chipping on the red borders.

91-92 Upper Deck rookies with solid 10 prices are Selanne, Forsberg, Hasek, Tkachuk, Khaibibulin, Palfy, Weight, Amonte, Yashin, LeClair, Lidstrom (Canada Cup & Young Guns).

92-93 Upper Deck is mostly trash except for the high series with Pronger, Kariya, Samsonov, Marchant, and Koivu. There's also a high series Selanne Young Guns, but it's not a rookie.

I'm sure I missed some details so someone feel free to correct me.

23 minutes ago, WesOps-migration said:

This is my wheel house, especially the early 90s. Compared to baseball and basketball for this era, hockey graded single populations are relatively low in a 10s. Upper Deck boxes for 90-91 and 91-92 are inexpensive and loaded with rookie cards in the high and low series. OPC Premier boxes are much more expensive but have the best ROI for the rookie class. Jagr rookies from OPC Premier are the king, selling anywhere from $200-700. The Upper Deck values are much lower, but still a solid card at a 10.

Other 90-91 OPC/Upper Deck rookies with value @ 10: Modano, Fedorov, Mogilny, Joseph, Holik, Bonda, Richter, Roenick, Sundin, Recci, Belfour (not in OPC), Domi (not in UD), Niedermeyer (not in UD)

90-91 Score is very cheap but has Brodeur's only rookie. Jagr, Modano, and Lindros are in this too. Boxes of this are about $10 each, but it's very hard to get a 10 on the singles since they're often off center and have chipping on the red borders.

91-92 Upper Deck rookies with solid 10 prices are Selanne, Forsberg, Hasek, Tkachuk, Khaibibulin, Palfy, Weight, Amonte, Yashin, LeClair, Lidstrom (Canada Cup & Young Guns).

92-93 Upper Deck is mostly trash except for the high series with Pronger, Kariya, Samsonov, Marchant, and Koivu. There's also a high series Selanne Young Guns, but it's not a rookie.

I'm sure I missed some details so someone feel free to correct me.

Yesss...I have about 15,000-25,000 cards i got in a giant lot purchase I have been holding off going through because i have no idea what I'm looking at. This sure helps.

30 minutes ago, Greg Christiansen said:

Yesss...I have about 15,000-25,000 cards i got in a giant lot purchase I have been holding off going through because i have no idea what I'm looking at. This sure helps.

make sure you watch some videos on identifying what makes a card worthy of grading. nothing worse than paying tons of money only to get back 4s and 5s.

27 minutes ago, WesOps-migration said:

make sure you watch some videos on identifying what makes a card worthy of grading. nothing worse than paying tons of money only to get back 4s and 5s.

Yeah...it's not the condition im too worried about. It's identifying the keepers from the trash...as far as hockey goes. I got them in a lot of about 300,000 cards been on the back burner for the last 2 years.

On 4/7/2021 at 1:38 PM, Greg Christiansen said:

Yeah...it's not the condition im too worried about. It's identifying the keepers from the trash...as far as hockey goes. I got them in a lot of about 300,000 cards been on the back burner for the last 2 years.

Use comc.com to see cards and be able to search/filter once you find a set. Once you know what cards are most valuable then you might ponder grading on some of those if clean. 

On 4/1/2021 at 3:06 AM, Greg Christiansen said:

I'd like to know more about junk wax specifically top Hockey cards but also Baseball, Basketball, Football and Soccer, actually all cards from this era. Olympics, Boxing, Wrestling etc.

Look up ”Junk Wax Gems” and “Puck Junk” on your favorite search engine.