Junk Wax Era
1 1

9 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, thewesdub said:

This is my wheel house, especially the early 90s. Compared to baseball and basketball for this era, hockey graded single populations are relatively low in a 10s. Upper Deck boxes for 90-91 and 91-92 are inexpensive and loaded with rookie cards in the high and low series. OPC Premier boxes are much more expensive but have the best ROI for the rookie class. Jagr rookies from OPC Premier are the king, selling anywhere from $200-700. The Upper Deck values are much lower, but still a solid card at a 10.

Other 90-91 OPC/Upper Deck rookies with value @ 10: Modano, Fedorov, Mogilny, Joseph, Holik, Bonda, Richter, Roenick, Sundin, Recci, Belfour (not in OPC), Domi (not in UD), Niedermeyer (not in UD)

90-91 Score is very cheap but has Brodeur's only rookie. Jagr, Modano, and Lindros are in this too. Boxes of this are about $10 each, but it's very hard to get a 10 on the singles since they're often off center and have chipping on the red borders.

91-92 Upper Deck rookies with solid 10 prices are Selanne, Forsberg, Hasek, Tkachuk, Khaibibulin, Palfy, Weight, Amonte, Yashin, LeClair, Lidstrom (Canada Cup & Young Guns).

92-93 Upper Deck is mostly trash except for the high series with Pronger, Kariya, Samsonov, Marchant, and Koivu. There's also a high series Selanne Young Guns, but it's not a rookie.

I'm sure I missed some details so someone feel free to correct me.

Yesss...I have about 15,000-25,000 cards i got in a giant lot purchase I have been holding off going through because i have no idea what I'm looking at. This sure helps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Greg Christiansen said:

Yesss...I have about 15,000-25,000 cards i got in a giant lot purchase I have been holding off going through because i have no idea what I'm looking at. This sure helps.

 

make sure you watch some videos on identifying what makes a card worthy of grading. nothing worse than paying tons of money only to get back 4s and 5s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, thewesdub said:

make sure you watch some videos on identifying what makes a card worthy of grading. nothing worse than paying tons of money only to get back 4s and 5s.

Yeah...it's not the condition im too worried about. It's identifying the keepers from the trash...as far as hockey goes. I got them in a lot of about 300,000 cards been on the back burner for the last 2 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2021 at 1:38 PM, Greg Christiansen said:

Yeah...it's not the condition im too worried about. It's identifying the keepers from the trash...as far as hockey goes. I got them in a lot of about 300,000 cards been on the back burner for the last 2 years.

Use comc.com to see cards and be able to search/filter once you find a set. Once you know what cards are most valuable then you might ponder grading on some of those if clean. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1