• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Tiers Question

5 posts in this topic

This may be a stupid question, however I'm getting set to submit cards for grading for the first time and had a question about the different tiers.  It says that under the Bulk option, the max. value per card is $250, so I'm just wondering how you determine what the value of the card is? And, if it is deemed that it is of a value higher than the one listed in the tier you've chosen, what happens then?

Appreciate any feedback or direction that could be given to an absolute newbie in submitting cards!

Did some digging (which I should have done first, lol), and found that you determine the Fair Market Value based on current sales of the card in it's current form (ungraded), and an approximation of what is found should work for the "value" of the card.

Also, if the card is deemed to be worth more than stated on the submission form, the submitter will be charged for the tier in which the card should have been submitted.

If all that sounds correct, would appreciate someone with more experience than me (which would be any, lol) to confirm or correct?

Thanks!

On 9/8/2022 at 6:56 AM, Chrishicks103 said:

Did some digging (which I should have done first, lol), and found that you determine the Fair Market Value based on current sales of the card in it's current form (ungraded), and an approximation of what is found should work for the "value" of the card.

Also, if the card is deemed to be worth more than stated on the submission form, the submitter will be charged for the tier in which the card should have been submitted.

If all that sounds correct, would appreciate someone with more experience than me (which would be any, lol) to confirm or correct?

Thanks!

Now, this all depends. Since it's a bulk submission, you would need at least 25 cards in your submission to qualify as bulk.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:56 AM, Chrishicks103 said:

Thanks!

I mean, yes and no, esp to the first part. 

Yes, in the sense that you want to determine the FMV of the ungraded version of that card. 

No, in the sense that you don't want to go to eBay and just look at what the Buy It Now listing prices for the card are. The reason you don't want to do that is bc (most of the time) people will list a selling price above what the FMV is.

What you want to do instead is go to a site like 130point dot com and then type in your card (I always add "-psa -csg - sgc - bgs" on the end of my searches, too, so you an find the ungraded cards) and it will give you the price of the last sales through eBay, MySlabs etc.

You can also go to eBay, type your card in and then click the "Sold" or "Sold Listings" button/tab and you can see the price of the latest sales there, although it won't always show you the accurate price of certain cards, so that's why I rely on 130point dot com, bc they have all the sales amounts. 

To the second part of your post, I have most def turned in cards to CSG that were above the listed FMV price that would increase my grading fee, but I have not been charged that increased grading fee one time. Unless you are turning in a card that is blatantly above that line (early Jordan refractors in great shape, a lot of low numbered card variations, etc) you will not be charged a fee. 

Also, Don't get too caught up on the FMV price. The reason they want to know that is for mailing insurance purposes. It's not so they can ding you on more grading fees. It's actually to protect you in the unfortunate event that your package gets lost/stolen/broken in the mail etc. It's purely a CYA maneuver. If you can't find the price of a card, just put the amount you would want the card insured for. If you have a card that is clearly above the FMV line to bring it up to another grading tier then they will actually contact you.  

Good luck with your submission!