• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need answers! Anything would help!

26 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 4:50 PM, micky 8 said:

def 1990 topps whatever were both familiar with the sets, not true there were 2 kinds the ones sent to the white house had a more glossier finish made special for the president,  others were released with the typical 1990 topps feel and finish both kinds were graded by psa both are legit 

Right, but the matte finish ones were backdoored by a Topps employee who had them graded by PSA. Someone claimed to have pulled one from a pack in Chicago, but there was no way to substantiate the claim... and no one reported pulling one since.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:45 AM, KennyJames73 said:

Yeah so funny then I'll keep them for 30 years then if we still have a planet to live on but my other cards I got out of a pro set packs are worth something when graded 🤷

Nope, absolutely not. The printing numbers on those cards alone make them essentially worthless. Sorry to break it to you like this in this thread, but save yourself the money and only send in the cards you want to keep for yourself.

I am sorry, but I will be brutally honest. You got your hands on overproduced garbage and none of the cards should be graded. Even if you used PSA to grade those cards at the $18 special they had, and they got all PSA 10's, you would break even. Pack or box fresh doesn't mean Gem Mint by the way. I would be surprised if 10% of those cards got a Gem Mint grade at any of the grading companies. Well maybe 30% if you sent to GMA.

Limited means absolutely nothing in the junk wax era. There was a baseball set called 1994 Leaf Limited. There were hard to find inserts in that set of Gold All-stars. The extremely hard to find Gold cards were numbered to 10,000 each. Those cards, which were tough pulls, sell for a few dollars. Even the Ken Griffey Jr can be had for less than $20. 

If you grade these cards you will lose money and that is not a maybe. You will lose money. 

On 8/17/2022 at 6:28 AM, redfoxdutchman said:

I am sorry, but I will be brutally honest. You got your hands on overproduced garbage and none of the cards should be graded. Even if you used PSA to grade those cards at the $18 special they had, and they got all PSA 10's, you would break even. Pack or box fresh doesn't mean Gem Mint by the way. I would be surprised if 10% of those cards got a Gem Mint grade at any of the grading companies. Well maybe 30% if you sent to GMA.

Limited means absolutely nothing in the junk wax era. There was a baseball set called 1994 Leaf Limited. There were hard to find inserts in that set of Gold All-stars. The extremely hard to find Gold cards were numbered to 10,000 each. Those cards, which were tough pulls, sell for a few dollars. Even the Ken Griffey Jr can be had for less than $20. 

If you grade these cards you will lose money and that is not a maybe. You will lose money. 

I disagree... mid-90s Leaf/Donruss/Select/whoever made Studio... was so condition sensitive that, if you got insanely lucky and pulled one that wasn't chipped or stuck to the card next to it, that might be worth something significant as a PSA10.

It is worth significant money only in a PSA 10 because of the registry, not because of the mass produced cards. PSA is POP controlling as well, so good luck getting a PSA 10 even if the card is Gem Mint. CSG/SGC Gem Mints of the same card that is sold for $100 in a PSA 10, will sell for $30 in a SGC/CSG 10 slab. Playing the PSA 10 game with junk wax is a very dangerous way to try to make money these days. If you get a PSA 10, you can make money. However if you get a PSA 9, you lost money. CSG is even worse trying to grade these cards. I sent in absolutely perfect 80's and 90's cards and I got back close to 20 CSG 9.5's and not one CSG 10. The cards I sent were much more valuable than the typical junk wax, so it increased the cards value. However, a bunch of 1991 Studio Griffey's in a CSG 9.5 would lose you money with the grading prices.