• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EV graded cards

13 posts in this topic

The cards in my recent order that the CSG grader labeled as EV, cannot be accurate. I know they put the face of a recent collector bearded guy as the expert on their website. I assume he sits in an office all day. Whoever graded my cards is a someone off the street who read a powerpoint and has zero experience because I have had these cards all my life and KNOW they were never altered in any way so this unfortunately tells me to go back to the real pros in the business and let the amateurs have their fun. Sayonara.

I feel your pain.  Earlier this year, I sent in 6 Brooks Robinson cards, 3 came back the same way.  These were a ‘71, ‘72, ‘74.  I did buy all 3 on eBay, but from 3 different sellers.  There is no money in trimming the latter 2, so I doubt I happened to just stumble across 3 trimmed cards all at once.from three different sellers.  I was really peeved and nearly walked away from CSG and I still have some residual anger.  I also sent in a ‘54 Topps Eddie Matthew at the same time and they claimed evidence of trimming and coloring.  I either got the same incompetent grader or was the random sucker for the day that gets all their cards rejected and the company makes some easy money.  For what it is worth, I have had much better luck since, so I hope it was a one time issue, but based on your experience, some crazy things are still going on.

Thanks for your reply. I believe your experience(s) are evidence that they are not really able to verify these cards due to lack of knowledge or equipment but will go ahead and stick their EV on it. I love the hobby but the grading obsession is becoming a big business market manipulator. I have had hundreds of cards graded by all the companies for the past 20 years or so. I haven't sold one yet. I'm not a dealer. I have had one t206 come back as trimmed. That's actually common. I had another counterfeit t 206, both graded correctly. While there are jerks out there who try to fool the companies and the collector., I ain't one of them.

Yeah, I say IF you aren't sure as a grader, trying to grade vintage stock cards, whether a card is trimmed or not, then find another way to insult the customer. PSA missed the TRIMMED HONUS WAGNER years ago, I believe there is no exact science to it and this guessing is a form of recless ignorance. 6% of my order was marked as EV, all WRONG. These cards were all taken from the wax packs by me. That is a very high rate of failure. Unacceptable. I could have just let it go but that's too easy.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:08 PM, D.L. said:

The cards in my recent order that the CSG grader labeled as EV, cannot be accurate. I know they put the face of a recent collector bearded guy as the expert on their website. I assume he sits in an office all day. Whoever graded my cards is a someone off the street who read a powerpoint and has zero experience because I have had these cards all my life and KNOW they were never altered in any way so this unfortunately tells me to go back to the real pros in the business and let the amateurs have their fun. Sayonara.

they are always gonna be cautious, if csg sees a $50,000 vintage card under magnification and it was cut weird or whatever, they cant take your word for it so there is doubt, so they label it EV no harm no fail but if it was altered and it gets out once or more then once that they graded a fake or altered card everything csg did gets destroyed, they only been grading sports a year, csg wouldnt be able to recover from such bad PR. Some things in any career arent 100% some things no matter how skilled you are at a proffession are not  %100 accurate. Psa n bgs are they the real pros? Sgc? all been out for over 20years if they grade a fake card or trimmed once in a blue its understandable Csg just starting out no room for error at this stage for them. 

Yes caution is important but I disagree there is no harm. Their reputation is gone for me,  It is not acceptable when we pay someone for a job who claims to know better than we do, it is imperative that they don’t guess, that they KNOW what they claim to know. Are you saying that if in doubt slap a no grade on it and that is correct? Seriously how many sets of eyes do they have there? Two months and how many people could have looked at these 3 cards. Oddly enough all from the 70’s. This 3 card EV spree is a trend not an anomaly.  Maybe I didn’t rank an experienced grader.  I can actually grade my own cards but  who would trust that. I also like a third party grader.  But I now have proof of my own that the card grading business is de-grading. That is not a guess. I’m a small potato and losing my business won’t hurt anyone. Or csg can send some ungraded cards to me and test ME next time.

Edited by D.L.

83A955FF-6995-4182-9F25-C47197EC4ECB.thumb.jpeg.71158ea688b4a759807b3573ff55f746.jpeg4CB138CD-FF32-4F08-86BA-8F86920BB803.thumb.jpeg.9f8c89dac34ac0e4b61d7ec5b5eee876.jpegOk

This is my grading. No trimming except at the factory with a tired blade.

Between Obvious mc of Ron Hunt and Ron Brand on the large side. The middle cards match the (mc) and the edges are no more frayed than the average 1970 cards at the time.

3351218C-5C0A-414B-8BAB-D3296BEB8E64.thumb.jpeg.2e27611225d5d72749a2f62cd989ae6d.jpeg

1970 #709 Fiore 
vg-ex 5(mc)

1970 #654 Day                                  vg-ex 5(mc)

Edited by D.L.

The rookies card actually looks like the edge is slightly concave. The Fiore looks diamond / mis-cut, but not necessarily EV. The rookies would likely get EV graded by any serious grading company. The Fiore could go either way. Maybe not EV, but rather, no grade.

hi nk,
Thanks for your opinion. I kinda think this is more than a coincidence. In the year 2035 card graders will begin to grade these cards based on 65 years of data that finally passes the legal fear dept.: 1970 Topps #654 N.L. Rookies NM++ PSA MINSIZERQ **AA-14239** | eBay.

70topps654.jpg

Edited by D.L.
Proof that there were issues in 1970 with cutting clean edges.

I think I’ve read that CSG is guaranteeing authenticity and not over-grading.   So they’ve decided that errors or tolerances if the whole process will create the situations you are describing as opposed to PSA style “trash authenticated and graded hi” like I often see in the marketplace.  It’s just the decision that a CSG cert will be very strong and no question about authentic unaltered and not overrated.   For me that’s perfect.  I don’t get all wound up over the #

Grading is essentially a hyper-scrutiny of the factory processes.  If the card is “authentic” and unaltered - but the factory process was way off somehow - it likely is the same as being messed up after the fact in most human eyes.  Graders or collectors.  

On 7/30/2022 at 2:26 AM, D.L. said:

Yes caution is important but I disagree there is no harm. Their reputation is gone for me,  It is not acceptable when we pay someone for a job who claims to know better than we do, it is imperative that they don’t guess, that they KNOW what they claim to know. Are you saying that if in doubt slap a no grade on it and that is correct? Seriously how many sets of eyes do they have there? Two months and how many people could have looked at these 3 cards. Oddly enough all from the 70’s. This 3 card EV spree is a trend not an anomaly.  Maybe I didn’t rank an experienced grader.  I can actually grade my own cards but  who would trust that. I also like a third party grader.  But I now have proof of my own that the card grading business is de-grading. That is not a guess. I’m a small potato and losing my business won’t hurt anyone. Or csg can send some ungraded cards to me and test ME next time.

you should read the csg guarentee i think you can submit them for an appearence review, they guarntee that a card is genuine im assuming they simply couldnt make that guarentee with the information that your cards presented, that is going to happen they are not going to guess n take a chance. There is some really brilliant counterfitters n scammers out there and if they are guarenteeing your card is genuine that leaves no room for era. Doesnt matter how many graders or sets of eyes they probably all came to the same conclusion that i cant guarentee that this card wasnt trimmed or whatever.  no matter how much technology or experienced a grader may be there is gonna be cards that cant be guarenteed geniune.