• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graders notes?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Now with no subgrades would anyone want to see graders notes for high end cards? Cards over $5000 maybe? not on the slab but if you scanned the card? I think it could be good for csg to get more big cards in csg slabs, thoughts? 

On 7/9/2022 at 11:59 AM, micky 8 said:

Now with no subgrades would anyone want to see graders notes for high end cards? Cards over $5000 maybe? not on the slab but if you scanned the card? I think it could be good for csg to get more big cards in csg slabs, thoughts? 

You mean like how CCG has chosen to do for CGC comic books? Honestly, no. It makes sense for comics, because a good portion of the grade has to do with things one can't see (inner cover, page colors, any miscut or stained interior pages, etc). For cards, introducing grader notes basically means CSG eliminated a revenue stream to give proprietary data away for free. The net result would be another jump in grading fees.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:17 PM, northkorea said:

You mean like how CCG has chosen to do for CGC comic books? Honestly, no. It makes sense for comics, because a good portion of the grade has to do with things one can't see (inner cover, page colors, any miscut or stained interior pages, etc). For cards, introducing grader notes basically means CSG eliminated a revenue stream to give proprietary data away for free. The net result would be another jump in grading fees.

good point agree for comics its much needed, other small graders like tgt n fcg do it for free for every card, ya dont think it would give csg an edge for real high value cards just a few notes n arrows what was wrong with the card, not for everycard but if your paying a lot to get a 6 figure card graded already i think it would be a good idea to let a customer know why there $100,000 card is now $80,000 because it got a 7 not a 9 or 10. Cards over 5 figures fairly rare i dont think sharing graders notes would affect the budget enough to warrant an increase across the board imo

On 7/11/2022 at 10:02 AM, micky 8 said:

good point agree for comics its much needed, other small graders like tgt n fcg do it for free for every card, ya dont think it would give csg an edge for real high value cards just a few notes n arrows what was wrong with the card, not for everycard but if your paying a lot to get a 6 figure card graded already i think it would be a good idea to let a customer know why there $100,000 card is now $80,000 because it got a 7 not a 9 or 10. Cards over 5 figures fairly rare i dont think sharing graders notes would affect the budget enough to warrant an increase across the board imo

It's the argument of the slippery slope. Once they give it "free" for $50k+ cards, people will argue about why that is the cut-off. Then it becomes "I have to pay $150 for grader notes, if my card is a $49,999 card, since I need to declare the $50k rate. $150 is ridiculous! It should be free for all cards over $5k." That gets followed with "I have to pay $30 for grader notes, if my card is a $4,999 card, since I need to declare the $5k rate. That's ridiculous. It should be free for anything but bulk!" That becomes "Wow! CSG charges $15 for bulk and doesn't even do subs! I'm going to PSA. For $3 more, my $300 CSG 7 card will sell on eBay for $20,000 as a PSA 10!?@?@?!!!! I know that it would grade a 10 at PSA, because they graded a trimmed Honus Wagner card as a 9!!!! CSG should include free grader notes, since they do it for comics!!!!" CSG raises rates to $30 bulk and starts including subs on all slabs. People then complain about having to pay for subs... "How can CSG charge $15 for subs???? I'm going to BGS, since subs are just $10!!!" CSG "lowers" bulk rate to $22 without subs and starts charging $9 for subs again... rinse, repeat.

definantly a lot of whiners when it comes to csg, they dont like the color green, too much space, grades to hard Womp! Womp! to your point if get get a high value card graded not to your liking you can always call in and they'll tell ya why it got the grade it did..