• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More 10 grades

24 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, PuraVida said:

As for yours, if you don't count the vintage, it looks like you had a gem rate of 33%? Were those ultra modern and well screened? That certainly sounds decent, but I would expect higher from my subs if I was very picky with what I sent in. 

36 of my cards were ultra modern:

10: 15 cards
9.5: 11 cards

That being said, these were all PC cards that I only had one copy of, not cards where I was picking and choosing to make sure I got a gem for resale.    In my notes before sending I wrote down that I thought 20 of them had a chance to gem, so I was within an acceptable margin of error in my screening/predictions.  

Out of those 20, only one card that I wrote I expected a gem missed at least 9.5, and it got an 8.5.   Looking at the scan on the sub I believe I can see a scratch I missed that is fairly prominent.  Conversely I also received 10s on two cards that were not on my list at all and I'm very surprised. In both cases the back centering was fairly off and I was helped by the new 70/30 rule.

If I wanted to choose another 50 to send in and only chose cards I believed to be gem, I'd feel pretty confident they would come back with a very high success rate. 

On 6/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, oluckydayo said:

That being said, these were all PC cards that I only had one copy of, not cards where I was picking and choosing to make sure I got a gem for resale.    In my notes before sending I wrote down that I thought 20 of them had a chance to gem, so I was within an acceptable margin of error in my screening/predictions.  

Thanks for sharing. That all sounds about right. Sounds like great returns! :) Thanks,

--Kyle

Looks like I hit a soft spot! Is CSG more likely to give out 9.5 mint+ than the new 10 gem mints? Maybe. I still love CSG and I think their still gonna eventually take over, but as for all of us submitting cards, expect less 10 gem mints and more 9.5 mint+.

On 6/3/2022 at 5:44 PM, PuraVida said:

So... Were these modern cards? You inspected the cards fairly well before submitting? If so, then yeah, I wouldn't be happy either. IMO this may really hurt CSG. I grade cards to boost value. A 9 for most ultra modern cards tends to sell at the raw price, so not a good result. A 9.5 Gem Mint (green label) was what we all wanted. I sent in about 150 cards to CSG and got probably 60+ Gem 9.5 (Green label) or better (including a few Pristines) because I screened them very carefully. With the new label, Gem Mint should be Gem Mint and not harder to achieve than the 9.5 green Gem. I'm about to send another order. If I only get about 8-15% Gem Mint 10 when my previous Gem rate was 40% or so, then I will never submit with CSG again because I'm not gaining value. People will look at 9.5 Mint + and say oh, that's not even a Gem. I'll buy a BGS 9.5 Gem, PSA 10 Gem, etc. instead...

These were mainly modern cards.  I am not complaining, I was just saying that I was surprised I didn't get more 10s.  I think it is a combo of two things: I was just trying to find cards to make a bulk submission and put some lesser things in this time.  I definitely put more in that I knew would not be gem mint (some 80s and 90s wrestling).  But of my 95.s and 10s, I was hoping for more to be 10s.  It could be that under the old green label that my 9.5s were really closer to the bottom edge of 9.5s and thus would have stayed 9.5s under the new system instead of 10s.  I may try to sneak one more bulk sub under the $12 cost and then maybe I can see if it changes.