• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

topp's project70 - Alex Pardee Edition

20 posts in this topic

seems like this is more geared for the younger, hip hop, street wear demographics

noticed that alex pardee is is now the #1 artist of the bunch. with print runs of 15k and 25k.  his approach is quite a bit better than most of the artists as he's a very good illustrator

going to be interesting to see if people continue to hammer away buying these and have it wind up like last years fiasco where they made 100k of griffey which has now become less than a $10 card that not many want .  his art might keep it afloat, but unless more collectors come in and and say "i want/appreciate it'  it might ruin 70 like 2020.  in the big picture 15/25k isn't that much, but within the hobby it's a pretty big number

https://www.mlb.com/news/topps-project70-artist-alex-pardee-brightmares-ronald-acuna-jr-mike-trout

odca8xwfypmotfucy3mv.jpg

Edited by fwc

I only buy the project 70 cards that appeal to me...So i have purchased maybe 25 or so thus far. I did get a Pardee Acuna foil. and Today..4/2/2021 i purchased the Atlanta Companion off his web site. 105.00 out the door. andi just checked...all sold out as of 12:15. So they sold out in 15 minutes...or less

Edited by Greg Christiansen

13 hours ago, Greg Christiansen said:

I only buy the project 70 cards that appeal to me...So i have purchased maybe 25 or so thus far. I did get a Pardee Acuna foil. and Today..4/2/2021 i purchased the Atlanta Companion off his web site. 105.00 out the door. andi just checked...all sold out as of 12:15. So they sold out in 15 minutes...or less

Awesome looking card.  I would have liked to of had one, but the price isn't to my liking/value :(  The amount of money being spent on things in this hobby in 2021 has no bounds.  

For $100 you would think that he would personally sign the damn thing.  To pay $250 or more just for him to do so is asinine.  I mean, he signs $50 serigraphs/prints, and a lot of his original signed artwork is less than the most expensive Acuna option.

It's too bad that many artists are in for the quick money grab.  At least with Pardee his work is top, top.  And if people want to just throw money at his stuff, good for him.

Going to be interesting to see how the hobby reacts to his Trout.  25K is quite a bit.  It may be absorbed at least through every card he releases.  It's possible if every card is amazing every release will build up the previous cards collectability  even more. 

I don't know where the cutoff PR "panic mode" amount is, but 100K Griffey Shore is more niche than this and couldn't carry it.   It's possible he'll have a 50K or 100K PR which might set the dominos in action, coupled with him selling all the other stuff on his own might be oversaturation to the point where the demand just drops off the cliff along with most of the value.  This will definitely happen at a certain number that we don't know yet.

There's also the possibility that he'll be the only one left standing at the end of Project70 and will continue to demand high dollar with every card he releases, because he has so much more appeal on mostly every level than all the other artists. 

The Acuna might go up even more because it's quite possible that it will be his lowest PR

EyAfSLtVEAQTvhp?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by fwc

The Alex cards i'm collecting for sure, but the claw money seaver was one i had to buy, i got the three pack and got a pujols foil that went straight to the bay. The best thing about these is people are not trying to flip now, at least not like before lol and people are enjoying them

I think I bought about 10 so far but I'm getting serious Project 70 fatigue with the endless Yankee and Dodger players.  3 Lasorda cards already?  But I love the Ermsy Dock Ellis last week.  But I'm just buying ones I like and ignoring the rest.  

the latest. 

seems like his work has gotten progressively worse since the acuna.   

this looks like a combination of rorschach and the joker coupled with disjointed limbs/tentacles.

this is low effort and a poor player choice.

ed103c53c81109f4140436cf2fd4594a.jpg

Edited by fwc

On 4/17/2021 at 1:02 PM, whos fabio said:

the latest. 

this looks like a combination of rorschach and the joker coupled with disjointed limbs/tentacles.

I bought it.  I like the player choice.  Not a Yankee/Dodger.  Not Acuna, Soto, Tatis or Trout.  The first rookie card of Project 70.  Maybe not the hottest prospect/rookie that he could have chosen but a good prospect and I was a fan of his father's so all makes it an interesting enough buy for me.  

On 4/17/2021 at 1:02 PM, whos fabio said:

the latest. 

Only time will tell if it's a poor player choice...as of right now..the card has the highest ceiling since the project started. It's a true rookie card and Hayes has all the potential/results a team could ask for. A few awards the next couple years and this card goes for hundreds. Maybe thousands.

52 minutes ago, Greg Christiansen said:

Only time will tell if it's a poor player choice...as of right now..the card has the highest ceiling since the project started. It's a true rookie card and Hayes has all the potential/results a team could ask for. A few awards the next couple years and this card goes for hundreds. Maybe thousands.

some of what you say is true.   hayes hits the ball hard from what i've seen and it jumps off the bat.

i would feel a lot better about his future if he wasn't 24 and has shown more star ability in the minors.

i think it's a step down art wise for pardee.   it just looks like bad comic book art imo

40 minutes ago, whos fabio said:

some of what you say is true.   hayes hits the ball hard from what i've seen and it jumps off the bat.

i would feel a lot better about his future if he wasn't 24 and has shown more star ability in the minors.

i think it's a step down art wise for pardee.   it just looks like bad comic book art imo

That's what he does... old horror type art normally...now it's just mixed with MLB. One of my favorite movies growing up was return of the living dead. I can see the relation.

17 minutes ago, Greg Christiansen said:

That's what he does... old horror type art normally...now it's just mixed with MLB. One of my favorite movies growing up was return of the living dead. I can see the relation.

that still doesn't change the fact the the artwork in this card isn't executed well and is the worst of the three he released. 

i'm disappointed with the look of the card.  regardless of the player.

it's not a good sign to go from "wow..must have" with the first card to "meh..don't know if i'll buy it" or "the only reason i'm buying it is because i'm buying all of them from him" with the third..  there's no denying there's  a drop off here.

On 4/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, whos fabio said:

that still doesn't change the fact the the artwork in this card isn't executed well and is the worst of the three he released. 

i'm disappointed with the look of the card.  regardless of the player.

it's not a good sign to go from "wow..must have" with the first card to "meh..don't know if i'll buy it" or "the only reason i'm buying it is because i'm buying all of them from him" with the third..  there's no denying there's  a drop off here.

11,237 is pretty strong.

1 hour ago, Greg Christiansen said:

11,237 is pretty strong.

i bought a couple at 12:55.  kind of wish i didn't becuse i dislike it.  hate being held hostage to the end prize if you buy them all.

i want to sell one of the gold stamp prints of all the 20 cards right now if anyone is interested

Edited by fwc

wow,...surprised the mays didn't top 10k.

the trout companion cards seems pretty cool as well.

didn't take long to sell out as well.  now people are paying 200

MikeTroutBASECompanionFront_NOCAPTION_24

Edited by who's fabio?

I just ordered the Randy Johnson.  That is by far my favorite of his so far.  The purple color scheme looks awesome, it has a Undertaker feel to it.  And he's got the bird in the background, it's one of the few perfect P70 cards for me so far.  I missed the Acuna card somehow and don't want to pay $50+ for it now especially with how high that print run was.  I got Trout and Hayes and skipped the Mays card because it was too much werewolf and not enough Willie for me.  If I can pick that one up cheap on the secondary I probably will down the line.  

14 hours ago, rms13 said:

I just ordered the Randy Johnson.  That is by far my favorite of his so far.  The purple color scheme looks awesome, it has a Undertaker feel to it.  And he's got the bird in the background, it's one of the few perfect P70 cards for me so far.  I missed the Acuna card somehow and don't want to pay $50+ for it now especially with how high that print run was.  I got Trout and Hayes and skipped the Mays card because it was too much werewolf and not enough Willie for me.  If I can pick that one up cheap on the secondary I probably will down the line.  

the more monster elements the better imo.  

E1xEUngUcAA4S6m?format=jpg&name=medium

love the project 70 cards im not sure if they will be worth anything i personally just a bought a few to support the artist, my handle pic is a micky mantle by Ces its a great way to get one of your favorite players hand painted by one of my favorite artist, a value increase would just be a bonus, most cards i buy even for investment have to be aesthetically pleasing a great photo, a classic nostalgic throwback or cool insert or some just an amazing looking set like 86 fleer basketball, 87 topps tiffany, 2008 etopps 

On 3/30/2021 at 5:23 PM, who's fabio? said:

seems like this is more geared for the younger, hip hop, street wear demographics

noticed that alex pardee is is now the #1 artist of the bunch. with print runs of 15k and 25k.  his approach is quite a bit better than most of the artists as he's a very good illustrator

going to be interesting to see if people continue to hammer away buying these and have it wind up like last years fiasco where they made 100k of griffey which has now become less than a $10 card that not many want .  his art might keep it afloat, but unless more collectors come in and and say "i want/appreciate it'  it might ruin 70 like 2020.  in the big picture 15/25k isn't that much, but within the hobby it's a pretty big number

https://www.mlb.com/news/topps-project70-artist-alex-pardee-brightmares-ronald-acuna-jr-mike-trout

odca8xwfypmotfucy3mv.jpg

I would add that not everyone is collecting these pieces bc they care what the value of them will be long term. I just like his style and want them for my PC, regardless of what they run for. 

From this post history you seem very stuck on their long term value, which is fine, but I couldn't give two sh* ts what the long term value of them are.