• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To reslab these or not to reslab?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious what you all think about reslabbing two of these (disregard the Dominguez)... The Gronk will be a 10 of course, so it seems like a no brainer. But it has 2 10 subgrades (one away from Pristine). Would you reslab for the 10? I'm leaning that way, but hate to lose those nice subgrades... 

The Hosmer is a Gold /50. 2x 9.5, 2x9 (one being centering). So I'm thinking about spending it got a reslab and hopefully getting a 9.5 (slim chance at a 10?), but a 9 would seem like a downgrade. Thanks, 

--Kyle 

PXL_20220509_213842788.thumb.jpg.9c1a3902d11742583700252ba9147de4.jpg

I would do the following:

Write an email to customer service. Include photos of the card, stating that you intend to have it reholdered, but you only want to do so if the card will get at least a 9.5 grade on review. There's 0% chance (based upon the rules and tiers, as I understand them) that the card would upgrade to a 10, since the 9 surface plus any other 9.5 grade would preclude the card from getting higher than a 9.5 overall grade. That said, the question becomes "Is it worth $12 to change the green 9+ (for lack of a better explanation) into a black 9.5?"

For me, the answer is probably not. If the fee were simply the $5 reholder fee (or, preferably, free, given you paid for the subs and would be surrendering those), then it's a no brainer. However, for $12, your total outlay for that grade ends up being $35 ($12+$9+$2 for the green grade, plus another $12 for the black grade). Some would argue that most of that is sunk cost, but it really isn't. Think of it this way: "Would you pay someone $12 to trade you a black 9.5 for your green 9+ with subs?"

Edit: In retrospect, it might actually cost you $14 for the regrade, as CSG would likely bill you once again for the $2 auto grade fee.

Edited by northkorea

For Domiguez and Gronk:  Do you want these for your personal collection or are you looking to resell?  If they're for PC, do whatever you prefer.  If you like the subgrades, consider keeping them.  

If it's for resale, people just don't care about subgrades and a 10 is to your benefit.   There's no reason to keep the 9.5s.

For Hosmer:  A reholder service is not a re-grade review.  If you send that card, you will receive a black slab 9 back.  If you want the card given a possibly higher grade you will need to crack it from the slab and resubmit as a normal grading order.  

On 5/9/2022 at 9:33 PM, northkorea said:

I would do the following:

Write an email to customer service. Include photos of the card, stating that you intend to have it reholdered, but you only want to do so if the card will get at least a 9.5 grade on review. There's 0% chance (based upon the rules and tiers, as I understand them) that the card would upgrade to a 10, since the 9 surface plus any other 9.5 grade would preclude the card from getting higher than a 9.5 overall grade. That said, the question becomes "Is it worth $12 to change the green 9+ (for lack of a better explanation) into a black 9.5?"

For me, the answer is probably not. If the fee were simply the $5 reholder fee (or, preferably, free, given you paid for the subs and would be surrendering those), then it's a no brainer. However, for $12, your total outlay for that grade ends up being $35 ($12+$9+$2 for the green grade, plus another $12 for the black grade). Some would argue that most of that is sunk cost, but it really isn't. Think of it this way: "Would you pay someone $12 to trade you a black 9.5 for your green 9+ with subs?"

Edit: In retrospect, it might actually cost you $14 for the regrade, as CSG would likely bill you once again for the $2 auto grade fee.

Thanks for the tip. I might try that with the Hosmer. Thing is, as a regrade, it would have a chance at a 10. If centering is less strict, it could be a 9.5 centering, and thus 3x9.5. 3x9.5 and a 9 would be a 9.5 Gem in the green label (which would be an automatic 10 in the black label). It's a pretty high value card (gold 1st Bowman auto), so I think it's worth the fee for a bump to 9.5. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:37 AM, oluckydayo said:

For Domiguez and Gronk:  Do you want these for your personal collection or are you looking to resell?  If they're for PC, do whatever you prefer.  If you like the subgrades, consider keeping them.  

If it's for resale, people just don't care about subgrades and a 10 is to your benefit.   There's no reason to keep the 9.5s.

For Hosmer:  A reholder service is not a re-grade review.  If you send that card, you will receive a black slab 9 back.  If you want the card given a possibly higher grade you will need to crack it from the slab and resubmit as a normal grading order.  

In this case, yes, all are to sell. I agree with you - just kinda nice showing the Gronk in particular is a half subgrade away from a Pristine... 

I've seen mixed messaging on how the reslab works for cards like the Hosmer. It sounds like they're doing it based on subgrade formulas and centering is less stringent now. So if they do a reslab with a 9 centering, another 9, and two 9.5s like this Hosmer, that might be a formula for an automatic reslab as 9.5. But only CSG knows for sure right now. Thanks,

--Kyle

On 5/10/2022 at 3:58 AM, PuraVida said:

Thanks for the tip. I might try that with the Hosmer. Thing is, as a regrade, it would have a chance at a 10. If centering is less strict, it could be a 9.5 centering, and thus 3x9.5. 3x9.5 and a 9 would be a 9.5 Gem in the green label (which would be an automatic 10 in the black label). It's a pretty high value card (gold 1st Bowman auto), so I think it's worth the fee for a bump to 9.5. 

In this case, yes, all are to sell. I agree with you - just kinda nice showing the Gronk in particular is a half subgrade away from a Pristine... 

I've seen mixed messaging on how the reslab works for cards like the Hosmer. It sounds like they're doing it based on subgrade formulas and centering is less stringent now. So if they do a reslab with a 9 centering, another 9, and two 9.5s like this Hosmer, that might be a formula for an automatic reslab as 9.5. But only CSG knows for sure right now. Thanks,

--Kyle

No. You're equivocating. While under a black sub system you would have 9.5x3/9, that would be a black 9.5. You would have needed a green 9.5x3/9 to get a black 10.