• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.5 Green to 9.5 Black? Using "grading credits" for Reslab?

5 posts in this topic

@CGCRyan Hi Ryan / Admins,

Two quick questions. First, I saw this instance of a green 9.5 Gem Mint reslab becoming a 9.5 Mint Plus in the black label:
https://boards.csgcards.com/topic/1264-fyi-green-label-95-gem-mint-reholdered-as-a-95-mint-by-csg-lower-grade/
Can you confirm this is an error (and would be fixed by CSG) and should not happen if I send my 9.5 Gem Mint green label cards in to be reslabbed? This goes against the stated policy for reslabs. To everyone here, this would be a terrible outcome (paying money for a promised 10 Gem crossover and getting downgraded). I have some high value 9.5 Gem cards and if I sent them in and they became 9.5 Mint Plus, they would lose a lot of value... 

Second, if I have grading credits from purchasing a paid membership, can they be used for the $5 Reslab fees? Thanks!

--Kyle

• Administrator

@PuraVidaThank you for reaching out to us.  The Scottie Pippen card should have received a Gem Mint 10 in the new label.  It was determined to be an error on our part and the card will be sent back for us to correct.

Grading credit can be used towards the ReHolder service fees. Grading credits exclude shipping and handling charges.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, CGCRyan said:

@PuraVidaThank you for reaching out to us.  The Scottie Pippen card should have received a Gem Mint 10 in the new label.  It was determined to be an error on our part and the card will be sent back for us to correct.

Grading credit can be used towards the ReHolder service fees. Grading credits exclude shipping and handling charges.

Thank you so much for verifying that. I really appreciate it!

While I have your attention... Is there a formula for cards with subgrades that would cross from 9 to 10 (i.e. 8.5 centering, 3x9.5)? Or from 9 to 9.5 (i.e. 9 centering, 9 of another subgrade and 2x 9.5s)? Thank you!

--Kyle

On 5/9/2022 at 5:01 AM, PuraVida said:

Thank you so much for verifying that. I really appreciate it!

While I have your attention... Is there a formula for cards with subgrades that would cross from 9 to 10 (i.e. 8.5 centering, 3x9.5)? Or from 9 to 9.5 (i.e. 9 centering, 9 of another subgrade and 2x 9.5s)? Thank you!

--Kyle

Kyle,

I've been trying to get CSG to acknowledge that since they decided to change the grading scale. So far, the official answer has been "Green Mint 9.5 & Pristine 10 will transition to Black Gem Mint 10. All other cards will have the same grade."

They can't state what you said about the 9 becoming a 10, as that theory of mine is completely contingent on the front centering of the card. During the first generation of the grading scale, back grading was weighted equally with front grading (at least in wording). The new scale definition allows some leeway in front centering, while also making back centering far more liberal.

If you have a centering issue card (let's call them "Green 10 (OC)"), there is a possibility that a lower grade card could transition to a Black 10, if the single issue is 75/25 rear centering.

For a similar reason, the 9*2/X/Y Green 9s can't be given a standardized upgrade to a 9.5.

It would be nice for CSG to explain which two non-nine categories merit a 9.5, but that is likely considered proprietary information.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:14 PM, northkorea said:

Kyle,

I've been trying to get CSG to acknowledge that since they decided to change the grading scale. So far, the official answer has been "Green Mint 9.5 & Pristine 10 will transition to Black Gem Mint 10. All other cards will have the same grade."

They can't state what you said about the 9 becoming a 10, as that theory of mine is completely contingent on the front centering of the card. During the first generation of the grading scale, back grading was weighted equally with front grading (at least in wording). The new scale definition allows some leeway in front centering, while also making back centering far more liberal.

If you have a centering issue card (let's call them "Green 10 (OC)"), there is a possibility that a lower grade card could transition to a Black 10, if the single issue is 75/25 rear centering.

For a similar reason, the 9*2/X/Y Green 9s can't be given a standardized upgrade to a 9.5.

It would be nice for CSG to explain which two non-nine categories merit a 9.5, but that is likely considered proprietary information.

Thanks for summarizing that! Hopefully they can provide a bit more clarity soon. But yeah, it sounds like cards with centering as the biggest issue have a chance to bump from 9 to 9.5 or 10. I'll take a close look at my 9s and maybe send a couple in with my 9.5s. *Most* of my 170+ CSG cards are lower value that I didn't get subgrades on, so there won't be much point in doing anything with them. Cheers,

--Kyle