• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Card Grading at a Show

10 posts in this topic

I would like info on taking cards to a show for grading. How does the drop-off process work? Do you prepare them as if you are going to mail them in and then take them? Is there usually a long line to drop off? Can I use a credit on my account to pay for grading at a show? When does the submission link to submit cards at a show become active? Anything else you can tell me would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrator

@Dave22655

Preparing Submissions for the Show

To streamline submissions at the show, please take the following steps before arriving:

1. Become a CSG member. To join CSG, click here.
  2. Complete the CSG Online Submission Form and print the packing slip. Make sure your account number, shipping address, return shipping method and requested services are included on the paperwork.
  3. Carefully insert each of your cards in a CSG Card Sleeve or similar product and then within a CSG Semi-Rigid Card or similar product. 
  4. Place your cards in the exact order that they are listed on the packing slip.
  5. Keep your cards safe and secure until you can drop off your submission with a representative at the booth.

All submissions will be transported to CSG headquarters in Sarasota, Florida, for authentication, grading and encapsulation.

If you have your submission prepared (See above instructions) prior to arriving at the show, you can use our Express Drop-off Service and skip the line. 

CSG will provide tablets at the booth for submitters to use for sign-up and submission purposes if needed.

Typically, the drop-off option opens up the week prior to the event (sometimes earlier) on the CSG Online Submission Form.

I've done this twice in Chicago shows. There was never a line so don't worry about that. They don't give you any receipt that they took the cards so that is a point of anxiety until they actually enter it in the system although the second time the rep asked if I brought another copy of the submission form. Maybe he would've signed that as receipt if I had brought it? They don't bother checking that submission form matches cards or anything like that. Last show promised two week expedited turnaround but it took a full week for it to be entered and took another three weeks after that to get graded. During that third week I called customer service and they had no idea about the promise for two week turnaround. Other than that, same as mail in 

On 5/12/2022 at 5:41 PM, northkorea said:

Jee Su, is there any benefit to using in person? Do you still need to pay the submission fee?

The main benefit for me is saving on shipping and insurance to send to CSG which isn't insignificant.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:52 AM, northkorea said:

That's why I use a bulk submitter, to be honest.

This is going off topic but what is the benefit of a bulk submitter outside of maybe not having to submit 50+ cards for bulk prices?

On 5/13/2022 at 7:59 AM, Jee Su Chang said:

This is going off topic but what is the benefit of a bulk submitter outside of maybe not having to submit 50+ cards for bulk prices?

Saves submission surcharge, and return shipping seems lower, in my experience.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:16 PM, northkorea said:

Saves submission surcharge, and return shipping seems lower, in my experience.

What submission surcharge? But don't you pay extra to do to and from the bulk submitter unless you have someone local? I basically paid $13 per card all in when I drop off at a show.

On 5/13/2022 at 3:17 PM, Jee Su Chang said:

What submission surcharge? But don't you pay extra to do to and from the bulk submitter unless you have someone local? I basically paid $13 per card all in when I drop off at a show.

The form says you get charged $5 or something for using the digital form and more if you use a paper form. From my experience, the shipping ends up cheaper, because the bulk submitter gets some sort of deal from the TPG that lowers the price.

By using a bulk submitter, I saved the membership fee, form fee, and higher shipping fee back from the TPG. The primary trade off seems to be slightly slower returns (bulk center needs to sort the different orders and doesn't seem to submit daily). I don't mind, as I've noticed my total submission fees (including shipping) has been about $300 lower than it would have been submitting directly, and that's without counting the membership fee (which I figure is somewhat of a wash).

I would have needed to submit 50% more in orders to offset the extra $150 for the 10% off that I would have paid going directly.