• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CSG Grade These Cards?

16 posts in this topic

They'll grade the gold signature ones, but I don't think they'll grade the Lime Rock one, since the signature was after-market. You would need that authenticated by PSADNA or BAS.

Edited by northkorea

On 5/8/2022 at 10:53 PM, northkorea said:

They'll grade the gold signature ones, but I don't think they'll grade the Lime Rock one, since the signature was after-market. You would need that authenticated by PSADNA or BAS.

Edit: Personally, I don't think the Griffey signature is authentic. The fact that the certificate misspells Paul Goldin's name really doesn't help matters. Either way, the signature doesn't look legitimate to me.

It is legitimate. I assume this one needed PSA DNA because they didn’t have the original Lime Rock certificate.

Paul Golden’s name is spelled the same on all the certificates.

5BDD5D51-2322-4214-B2D4-6AB4BA8CF080.jpeg

Edited by Glen Campbell

On 5/8/2022 at 5:14 AM, Glen Campbell said:

IMG_0288.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 12:32 AM, Glen Campbell said:

5BDD5D51-2322-4214-B2D4-6AB4BA8CF080.jpeg

Those two signatures are not penned by the same hand. Lime Rock's President was named Paul Carroll. Paul Goldin was the CEO of Scoreboard. He was Ken Goldin's dad. Tim Flatt was the President of Front Row.

I have NO IDEA who "Paul Golden" is supposed to be.

Edited by northkorea
I don't know who Paul Golden is, and I think he's connected to whatever Spectrum is. I incorrectly stated that Tim Flatt was connected to Spectrum.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:48 AM, northkorea said:

Those two signatures are not penned by the same hand. Lime Rock's President was named Paul Carroll. Paul Goldin was the CEO of Scoreboard. He was Ken Goldin's dad. Tim Flatt was the President of Front Row & Spectrum.

Okay buddy, clearly you are an expert authenticator.  A simple search will show you these cards are authentic.  My question is will CSG grade them, not does some random self proclaimed expert think they are authentic.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:48 AM, northkorea said:

Those two signatures are not penned by the same hand. Lime Rock's President was named Paul Carroll. Paul Goldin was the CEO of Scoreboard. He was Ken Goldin's dad. Tim Flatt was the President of Front Row & Spectrum.

Multiple examples pulled from similar products currently listed on eBay

DDA4C33D-2ED5-4E2C-B5C5-4EEE782D9B55.jpeg

29039F9D-2CB0-4B2C-AC92-36B5D07230E1.jpeg

99A6FD2B-C4E6-4F65-A589-3A8B11C73849.jpeg

On 5/9/2022 at 2:10 AM, Glen Campbell said:

Okay buddy, clearly you are an expert authenticator.  A simple search will show you these cards are authentic.  My question is will CSG grade them, not does some random self proclaimed expert think they are authentic.

That question was answered in the first reply. They'll likely grade the ones that aren't signed in live ink, and they won't grade the signed one, because there's nothing to identify (on the card itself) that the company guarantees the signature.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:47 AM, Glen Campbell said:

Multiple examples pulled from similar products currently listed on eBay

I still have no clue who Paul Golden actually is, but it seems like he's just some dude who made COAs that has no connection to any of the brands in question.

s-l500.jpg

As shown in the above photo, the actual COAs from Lime Rock look nothing like the Paul Golden ones you posted.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:39 PM, northkorea said:

I still have no clue who Paul Golden actually is, but it seems like he's just some dude who made COAs that has no connection to any of the brands in question.

s-l500.jpg

As shown in the above photo, the actual COAs from Lime Rock look nothing like the Paul Golden ones you posted.

I am done arguing with you.  If you want to believe some random dude made a bunch of certificates and circulated them all over the country, be my guest.

It says right on the damn certificate that he is the production manager.  

CSG is looking into it and is going to get back with me.  I will take their answer over any other.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:13 PM, Glen Campbell said:

I am done arguing with you.  If you want to believe some random dude made a bunch of certificates and circulated them all over the country, be my guest.

It says right on the damn certificate that he is the production manager.  

CSG is looking into it and is going to get back with me.  I will take their answer over any other.

They will tell you that they will grade the cards, but they don't do autograph authentication, so, since the signed card is the same as the unsigned cards, they won't accept it.

He's the production manager of what company? It seems for Spectrum. That makes the autographed card an after-market product. Just submit it to PSA for PSADNA authentication. Again, CSG doesn't authenticate signatures, and they won't grade them if the cards weren't issued as signed, which the Griffey was not.

The easiest way to explain the signature grading is by example. In 1994, Nabisco issued autographed sets of four cards signed by alumni members of the MLBPA. The players were Bob Gibson, Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson, and Duke Snider. These were ONLY issued as signed items. As such, CSG would likely be willing to grade the cards and charge $2 for an autograph grade. The autograph grade is *not* an opinion of authenticity of the autograph. Instead, it is a grade of how complete the signature looks.

Unlike the Nabisco issue, the Lime Rock Griffey family holograms were issued as both signed and unsigned versions. There is no way to differentiate between the two versions, so CSG won't grade it, as the signature must be assumed to be an after-market issue.

Just submit the card to PSA. That's the simplest solution. They even have a sale on grading for Hall of Fame members right now.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:30 PM, northkorea said:

The easiest way to explain the signature grading is by example. In 1994, Nabisco issued autographed sets of four cards signed by alumni members of the MLBPA. The players were Bob Gibson, Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson, and Duke Snider. These were ONLY issued as signed items. As such, CSG would likely be willing to grade the cards and charge $2 for an autograph grade. The autograph grade is *not* an opinion of authenticity of the autograph. Instead, it is a grade of how complete the signature looks.

Unlike the Nabisco issue, the Lime Rock Griffey family holograms were issued as both signed and unsigned versions. There is no way to differentiate between the two versions, so CSG won't grade it, as the signature must be assumed to be an after-market issue.

Just submit the card to PSA. That's the simplest solution. They even have a sale on grading for Hall of Fame members right now.

I understand what you are saying in regards to the why they might not grade it.  The reason I asked was because the card was produced by Little Rock and issued as a certified autograph (not noted on the card, again I get that) by the same company.  It is not aftermarket, it was issued that way.

Regardless, I would totally understand if they won’t grade that card.  I was arguing with you because every response you made seemed hell bent on trying to convince me it wasn’t authentic, when I know that it definitely is.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:04 PM, Glen Campbell said:

I understand what you are saying in regards to the why they might not grade it.  The reason I asked was because the card was produced by Little Rock and issued as a certified autograph (not noted on the card, again I get that) by the same company.  It is not aftermarket, it was issued that way.

Regardless, I would totally understand if they won’t grade that card.  I was arguing with you because every response you made seemed hell bent on trying to convince me it wasn’t authentic, when I know that it definitely is.

Lime Rock autographed cards (as issued by Lime Rock) were part of a series of 833, not 500. The Spectrum(?) issued cards were not connected to the original issue, as the COA cites the card as a part of a series of 500. Again, since there's no way to differentiate between an autographed and non-autographed version of the card, it would need to be authenticated by someone who does that (BAS, PSADNA, JSA).

BTW, I get it if you want to grade the cards for your personal collection, but, to be honest, if your intention was to grade them for resale, you likely will never recoup the grading fee. This isn't a commentary on CSG, but rather one on Spectrum. These cards were never really authorized by MLB, and, with the specific exception of Front Row Jeter rookies, never really will hold any value.

Edited by northkorea