• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI: Green Label 9.5 Gem Mint reholdered as a 9.5 Mint+ by CSG?? Lower Grade?!

18 posts in this topic

Sent in a Scottie Pippen graded a 9.5 Gem Mint Green Label to be reholdered as a 10 Gem Mint. (Because of CSG's new grading system and new labels.) To my surprise, when I got the card back, it was still a 9.5, and the grade lowered to a Mint+. It was also given a new cert number, which is mind boggling to me. I assume this is to create doubt from outside viewers that it "might" not be the same card. But it is the same card. Good luck to everybody else out there sending their 9.5 Gem Mint Green Labels in to get reholdered, only to get the card back NOT as a 10, and actually a lower grade based on the new CSG grading scale!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (0-00-00-00).jpg

On 5/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, C. Yeager said:

Sent in a Scottie Pippen graded a 9.5 Gem Mint Green Label to be reholdered as a 10 Gem Mint. (Because of CSG's new grading system and new labels.) To my surprise, when I got the card back, it was still a 9.5, and the grade lowered to a Mint+. It was also given a new cert number, which is mind boggling to me. I assume this is to create doubt from outside viewers that it "might" not be the same card. But it is the same card. Good luck to everybody else out there sending their 9.5 Gem Mint Green Labels in to get reholdered, only to get the card back NOT as a 10, and actually a lower grade based on the new CSG grading scale!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (0-00-00-00).jpg

Are all the stray pieces of white paper dust on the card?

On 5/5/2022 at 4:15 PM, C. Yeager said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (0-00-00-00).jpg

It is just an error.  If you contact Customer Service they will send you a prepaid label so you can send the card in and have it slabbed correctly.  As for the different Certification Numbers ALL green label cards will have a new Cert once reslabbed in the new label from my experience of having reslabbed forty or so (of varying grades, including 9.5 to 10s).  The old Cert # will be deactivated at some point in the Pop Report and Registry on CSG's end.  :)

On 5/5/2022 at 4:15 PM, C. Yeager said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (0-00-00-00).jpg

Just to clarify why each card has a new Cert number it is because when you send in your reholder your cards get assigned an order number.  For instance, your original Green Label Pippen is from your Order #1000892.  The card itself was on line 16 of that order, hence the Cert # of 1000892016.  Your new reslabbed card is from your new Reholder Order #1022758 and the card was on line #17 of that order.  So its new Cert # is 1022758017 because of that, not any other reason.  :)  This is true for all reholder orders.  The only cards I can think of that should come back with their original Cert # is ME or Mechanical Error orders.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:43 PM, TheRealKyleMcC said:

It is just an error.  If you contact Customer Service they will send you a prepaid label so you can send the card in and have it slabbed correctly.  As for the different Certification Numbers ALL green label cards will have a new Cert once reslabbed in the new label from my experience of having reslabbed forty or so (of varying grades, including 9.5 to 10s).  The old Cert # will be deactivated at some point in the Pop Report and Registry on CSG's end.  :)

Are we sure about this? I was just about to renew my membership and pay to reslab my Green 9.5s. But now I'm really scared to do that (pay money for the reslab only to receive downgrades and *lose* value)... 

On 5/9/2022 at 4:17 AM, PuraVida said:

Are we sure about this? I was just about to renew my membership and pay to reslab my Green 9.5s. But now I'm really scared to do that (pay money for the reslab only to receive downgrades and *lose* value)... 

It's publicly announced. If they don't "make good" on the 10, have an attorney get involved. They'll correct things faster.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:02 PM, northkorea said:

It's publicly announced. If they don't "make good" on the 10, have an attorney get involved. They'll correct things faster.

Yeah, Ryan responded in the Ask CSG forum that it was indeed and a mistake and will be reslabbed for him as a 10. I'm sure you saw that, but thought this should be clarified in this thread so people don't worry.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:31 PM, TheRealKyleMcC said:

Just to clarify why each card has a new Cert number it is because when you send in your reholder your cards get assigned an order number.  For instance, your original Green Label Pippen is from your Order #1000892.  The card itself was on line 16 of that order, hence the Cert # of 1000892016.  Your new reslabbed card is from your new Reholder Order #1022758 and the card was on line #17 of that order.  So its new Cert # is 1022758017 because of that, not any other reason.  :)  This is true for all reholder orders.  The only cards I can think of that should come back with their original Cert # is ME or Mechanical Error orders.

I've been wondering about the last line. With green to green ME cards, they did use the same certification number. Would that hold true for green to black ME cards, as well? I wonder, because it seems a reholder (which, absent the change in flips) would be, essentially, paying for the TPG to replace the case. They could re-use the flip, if they chose to. That makes me think green to green reholder should have kept the same certification number.

Are you meaning to say that, since you pay a fee for the reholder (and therefore have a revenue associated order number), that it would count as an order? By contrast, although ME sheets have order numbers, those would be widely ignored for the purposes of the certification number associated to the card... is that more or less the logic?

On 5/14/2022 at 8:45 PM, northkorea said:

I've been wondering about the last line. With green to green ME cards, they did use the same certification number. Would that hold true for green to black ME cards, as well? I wonder, because it seems a reholder (which, absent the change in flips) would be, essentially, paying for the TPG to replace the case. They could re-use the flip, if they chose to. That makes me think green to green reholder should have kept the same certification number.

Are you meaning to say that, since you pay a fee for the reholder (and therefore have a revenue associated order number), that it would count as an order? By contrast, although ME sheets have order numbers, those would be widely ignored for the purposes of the certification number associated to the card... is that more or less the logic?

Not sure on the revenue part of your reply but when customers send in their ME cards they are technically assigned a new order number which is I assume to assure the card is kept track of through the process but the error (wrong card information, misspelled name, etc.) is corrected on the original order number and then the label is reprinted from that order, if that makes sense.

Edited by TheRealKyleMcC

On 5/15/2022 at 2:06 AM, TheRealKyleMcC said:

Not sure on the revenue part of your reply but when customers send in their ME cards they are technically assigned a new order number which is I assume to assure the card is kept track of through the process but the error (wrong card information, misspelled name, etc.) is corrected on the original order number and then the label is reprinted from that order, if that makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense for green to green, but what about green with subs to black ME?

On 5/15/2022 at 4:54 PM, northkorea said:

Yes, that makes sense for green to green, but what about green with subs to black ME?

Unfortunately, if you send in a green label card that has subgrades it will lose those subgrades when reholdered in the new black label, regardles if it is an ME, and will receive a new Cert #..  The only way a green label card will retain subgrades is if it is a Perfect 10 (it will still get a new Cert #, though).  

Quick Update on this: I sent the Black Label 9.5 Scottie Pippen back to CSG to be reholdered to a 10. (It was originally a Green Label 9.5, which crosses over to a 10 with CSG's new grading scale.) CSG informed me they made a mistake and accidently put it in a Black Label 9.5 when it got reholdered the first time. So I sent the card back to CSG to get reholdered again.

Today I was informed via email by CSG that they damaged the card.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:48 PM, C. Yeager said:

Quick Update on this: I sent the Black Label 9.5 Scottie Pippen back to CSG to be reholdered to a 10. (It was originally a Green Label 9.5, which crosses over to a 10 with CSG's new grading scale.) CSG informed me they made a mistake and accidently put it in a Black Label 9.5 when it got reholdered the first time. So I sent the card back to CSG to get reholdered again.

Today I was informed via email by CSG that they damaged the card.

I wonder what their rate of damaging cards is.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:03 AM, northkorea said:

Based upon my personal experience: 25%.

Kind of scares me on the crossover I sent in, seeing as that makes 2 people on the forums that've gotten whacked and not many active people on here. The raw cards in same order finished up mid week and should be delivered today. The crossovers been in GEI for I think 4 or 5 days(Might just take longer though, I have no idea to be fair). Don't want an email with bad news 😂 I really liked those cards.

What I dislike about CSG policy with respect to damaged or downgraded cards is they encase the card, but don't return it. By contrast, PSA pays you for the damage AND returns the card in the lowered grade. This matters for rare cards that you might never get another of in your life.