• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cards from KHL and Eastern Europe in general

9 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone! My name is Alex Kovalev (not the NHL star, but I know him a liitle bit). I'm from Belarus (Nothern Europe, currently living and working in Russia as media guy for the Kontinental Hockey League Sochi team (We recently send swedish goaltender Hellberg to Detroit and currently have Dirty Naz (older hockey fans should know him as Head coach). But what's more important, I'm a sports card collector, that wants all Eastern european collectors get full access to all the new features of collecting sports cards (even started my Youtube channel to help them to educate a bit more in sport cards world). First of all - I'm happy to meet all of you. And will be happy to answer all of your questions about KHL and sports card (we have only hockey cards here) in Russia. But also I have some questions to ask too. 

1. Is it possible to submit cards for grading from Eastern Europe?

2. What is the best way to do it?

On 4/27/2022 at 3:50 PM, Benjamin Brown said:

I would be also interested. I have a few Malkin KHL cards that would be considered a pre-rookie I guess

If you bought it on comc, i might be the one who sold it. I have quite a lot KHL cards (Ovi, Malkin, Kuch, Vasilevsky) there :)

On 4/27/2022 at 7:11 AM, Alienantfarm said:

If you bought it on comc, i might be the one who sold it. I have quite a lot KHL cards (Ovi, Malkin, Kuch, Vasilevsky) there :)

Are the cards authorized by KHL? I've seen some on eBay that look like someone printed them, like photos, as opposed to being issued and licensed. They seem to be numbered to /2, /15, etc. Never seem to be full issues.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, northkorea said:

Are the cards authorized by KHL? I've seen some on eBay that look like someone printed them, like photos, as opposed to being issued and licensed. They seem to be numbered to /2, /15, etc. Never seem to be full issues.

Sorry for delay in answering, was enjoyining my vacation :)

The only officially licensed cards manufacturer is called SeReal. They are producing around 3-4 different collections through the year. (Like base collection, semi-premium and premium). They produce a good quality product. You can see their cards listed on ebay and comc.

Unfortunately here we have some illegal manufactures that also create KHL cards, but the quality is low. They also sell their cards on ebay for example. And what's the most surprising, some of this unlicensed cards were even graded by PSAhm

Actually I have one funny story to add here about licensed KHL cards. When Kirill Kaprizov started to rock in Wilds, one of the illegal manufactures made his "RC" card from KHL. In 2021 he just printed the card that pretended to be from 2016/17 season in KHL and made it look like RC card from UD (Even added word Rookie, not russian equivalent). This card was sold multiple times on Ebay (at first for around 100 US). But this card have absolutely nothing to do with licensed Kaprizov cards. Even that guy, that made this card, became no-respect person in russian collectors community :)

On 6/20/2022 at 2:05 AM, Alienantfarm said:

Actually I have one funny story to add here about licensed KHL cards. When Kirill Kaprizov started to rock in Wilds, one of the illegal manufactures made his "RC" card from KHL. In 2021 he just printed the card that pretended to be from 2016/17 season in KHL and made it look like RC card from UD (Even added word Rookie, not russian equivalent). This card was sold multiple times on Ebay (at first for around 100 US). But this card have absolutely nothing to do with licensed Kaprizov cards. Even that guy, that made this card, became no-respect person in russian collectors community :)

That sounds like the Ichiro Suzuki Hawaii Winter Baseball card. Some guy printed a bunch of them in 2001, after Ichiro was named MVP & ROY. He back dated the cards to 1993. He, rather brilliantly in retrospect, simultaneously released a 2001 "reprint" at the same time. PSA, BGS, and even CSG grade them as 1993 cards, but they are fully unlicensed and created in 2001. It's funny how scammers keep using the same scam and get away with it!