• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to CSG grading Question on grades

11 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 4/22/2022 at 12:46 PM, Boyd Montgomery said:

Star Basketball cards

The Star Basketball cards are on the list of cards that CSG does not grade:

Sports Cards that CSG Does Not Grade

• 1947 “Bond Bread” style cards with square corners
  • All “STAR” Basketball cards (1984-1986)
  • 1984 USA Olympic Basketball “Co-Captain Gold Winning Team” Michael Jordan
  • 1984 United States Basketball Team Michael Jordan
  • 1994 Upper Deck Classic Alumni #298 Alex Rodriguez Auto
  • 1997-1998 Score Board Blue Ribbon Player Kobe Bryant Auto /300
  • 1997-1998 Skybox Premium Autographics Charles Barkley Auto
  • 1998-1999 Skybox Premium Autographics Tim Duncan Auto
  • 1999-2000 Skybox Premium Autographics David Robinson Auto
  • 1996-1997 Skybox Premium Autographics Steve Nash Auto
  • All years Fleer Masterpiece “One of One” Basketball Cards
  • All years McDonalds Autographs
  • All years (2000-2015) Topps Rookie Premiere/ (03/04 - 08/09) Topps Photo Shoot/ (2006-2007-2010) Topps AFLAC Autographs (Unless serial numbered)
  • All years (1990-1992) Star Pics Autographs
  • All years (1991-1997) Pro Line Autographs
  • All years (1996-1997) Scoreboard/ (1991-1995) Classic/ (1991-1992) Front Row/ (1991-1992) Little Sun Autographs of Shaquille O’Neal/Kobe Bryant/Derek Jeter
  • All years Upper Deck Buyback Autographs that do not have the original UDA Certificate
  • 1994 Upper Deck Alex Rodriguez, Mickey Mantle, & Ken Griffey Jr. Autographs
  • 1992 Fleer Ultra Career Highlights Reggie White Auto
  • 1994 Signatures Rookies Derek Jeter Mail In Promo Auto /1000
  • 1995 Action Packed 24KT Gold #1D Derek Jeter Auto
  • 1997 Bowmans Best Atomic Refractors Derek Jeter Auto
  • 1997 Skybox Batman & Robin Uma Thurman Auto
  • 2001 Upper Deck Legends Football Legends Autograph Set
  • 2001 Fleer Legacy Albert Pujols Autographs
  • 2003-04 Campioni Di Futuro #5 LeBron James
  • 2016 Panini Prizm Dak Prescott Rookie Auto (Autopen, every variation)
  • 2016 Panini Prizm Dak Prescott/Devontae Booker Dual Auto/Jersey /99

On 4/22/2022 at 6:46 AM, Boyd Montgomery said:

Star Basketball cards

Boyd, only one or two of the four primary grading companies will grade Star cards, to my knowledge. They're actually NOT difficult to authenticate, but, because PSA refuses to grade or authenticate them, that ended up being the official industry position on operating standard.

On 4/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, northkorea said:

Boyd, only one or two of the four primary grading companies will grade Star cards, to my knowledge. They're actually NOT difficult to authenticate, but, because PSA refuses to grade or authenticate them, that ended up being the official industry position on operating standard.

so dumb Psa use to grade them too, only thing i can think of is maybe they are too easy to fake or someone made a ton of fake star cards and put them in circulation idk 

On 5/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, micky 8 said:

so dumb Psa use to grade them too, only thing i can think of is maybe they are too easy to fake or someone made a ton of fake star cards and put them in circulation idk 

What happened was someone created fake Star sets. The story went that it was printed at the original factory, so they would be indistinguishable from originals. However, there were no plates to print from, so thus wasn't really the case. It was explained, but people didn't want to listen, since there were so many AWFUL Jordan fakes that they were scared of good fakes (think super notes).

On 5/23/2022 at 2:32 AM, northkorea said:

What happened was someone created fake Star sets. The story went that it was printed at the original factory, so they would be indistinguishable from originals. However, there were no plates to print from, so thus wasn't really the case. It was explained, but people didn't want to listen, since there were so many AWFUL Jordan fakes that they were scared of good fakes (think super notes).

thats crazy, thanx for sharing! I guess why take a chance, grading fake cards destroys graders credibility kinda sux tho I like the retro look of star cards I got a larry legend but im skeptical to get a raw jordan or barkley rookie because even more fakes have popped up since, some star cards never existed theres a couple jordans with the portland trailblazer logo sellers saying its an era card pretty sure they never existed selling for $40