• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Anyone Else Experienced This?

6 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2022 at 1:39 PM, Billy Donovan said:

My business partner and I have submitted well in excess of 500+ cards all pack to holder. Some of these grades are just unacceptable. Brand new Anthony Edwards getting a 8? We submitted the exact same card 4 times and got a 9.5,9,8.5, and 8..... Something smells off to me. It just seems like a big waste of money to get them graded by CSG and have them grade like that and lose a lot of money. A CSG 8 of anything is essentially garbage so what is the point?

Not every card pulled from a pack is a 10. In fact, I'd say most are not. 

On 4/15/2022 at 2:01 PM, Kon_Jelly said:

Not every card pulled from a pack is a 10. In fact, I'd say most are not. 

Its interesting and frustrating at the same time.  The only card grading experience ive ever had is following PSA and BCG standards and it seems like PSA would hand out 10's like candy with obvious flaws on the cards.  Maybe thats what made collectors keep submitting with them? I guess thats what makes customers happy.  It would be nice if the hobby had a standard grading system and someone to actually police it.  Thats far fetched though.  In the meantime, im sure ill see more and more people complaining about CSG's tough grading system while PSA 10's sell for a premium dollar.   

On 4/15/2022 at 4:19 PM, JPalm52 said:

Its interesting and frustrating at the same time.  The only card grading experience ive ever had is following PSA and BCG standards and it seems like PSA would hand out 10's like candy with obvious flaws on the cards.  Maybe thats what made collectors keep submitting with them? I guess thats what makes customers happy.  It would be nice if the hobby had a standard grading system and someone to actually police it.  Thats far fetched though.  In the meantime, im sure ill see more and more people complaining about CSG's tough grading system while PSA 10's sell for a premium dollar.   

I’ve never had a card I sent to PSA returned to me with a ten grade where flaws were visible. Maybe people don’t properly care for them and damage them after the fact by banging them around. Holders are good but they still need to be cared for and handled properly. For arguments sake even if you were right why fight the tide? It’s a losing battle. If it’s something you want to keep for yourself personally then send it to CSG. I actually do like their holder quality and clarity better than the rest. I sent a 50 card lot here to try them out once and got the sub grades. I only wanted the sub grades to gauge what they’re looking at because I never used this grader before. My prior experience told me the lot should probably have had between 8-12 of them out of 50 come back 9.5 minimum even if they weren’t “pristine” 10’s. Two 9’s for total grade were the highest of the 50. The other 48 were all lower mostly 8’s and 8.5’s which are essentially trash for resale value. It’s like they’re using the Hubble space telescope to look at these things. I broke out several of the CSG graded cards and put them back under the lighted magnifier a second time and still disagree with their conclusions. Now they’re dumping the sub grades so you won’t be able to even scrutinize what they're making these overly harsh errors on. If the eye and a lighted magnifying loupe can’t pick it up then it isn’t important ok? Ever hear the old saying the customer is always right? Well the customer will pay for PSA 10’s and even if you can get one here they won’t spend even close to equal money for a CSG 10 much less more. And no, that won’t be changing in the future either so go die on that hill if you want to. In the end why subject your inventory to this overly harsh scrutiny? You’re better off selling your cards raw than grading here because you won’t even recoup the grading and shipping fees. You end up giving the card away for free and at a loss on the grading. Never again for me after one terrible experience here. It’s really that simple. 

Edited by I dont have one