CSG Ups Its Game with a New Label and Revised Grading Scale!
2 2

41 posts in this topic

  • Administrator

Just in time for The MINT Collective, CSG is delivering a one-two punch: a fresh label along with market-friendly updates to its grading scale.

Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG®) is excited to reveal its brand-new certification label! The bold yet refined design is the result of months of research and development, including market studies, focus groups and extensive testing. Green is gone in favor of a black, silver and gold palette that will complement — not compete with — the colors of any sports card.

LEARN MORE

03_March23_CSG_Social_UpdatedLabel_Libby_c1_v2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new label looks so much better.  Can the old green label be sent in under reholder service and get it changed to the new label?

Also, have the subgrades add-on service been eliminated?  I don't see it on the website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the new look! Here are my questions:

*If I send 80 CSG graded cards for for the new ReHolders and 30 raw cards to be encapsulated all together in the same package would the 30 cards fall into the bulk grading class (since I'm sending 110 cards total = $760)?

*Since the grading scale change, are all my 9.5 Gem Mint becoming 10 Gem Mint? Are they being graded again or just being moved to a new holder with an updated graded since they were previously  graded by CSG?

*I understand that getting 10s was a real achievement in the past and I own 5 of them. They are the only ones recorded in population so I feel they are special. if 9.5 are moving up where are Pristine 10 going?

*At what point are you guys crossing over GMA graded cards. I have a few that I would like to crossover. If you are doing PSA,SGC & Beckett why not others?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2022 at 2:58 PM, Alpha&Omega said:

I love the new look! Here are my questions:

*If I send 80 CSG graded cards for for the new ReHolders and 30 raw cards to be encapsulated all together in the same package would the 30 cards fall into the bulk grading class (since I'm sending 110 cards total = $760)?

*Since the grading scale change, are all my 9.5 Gem Mint becoming 10 Gem Mint? Are they being graded again or just being moved to a new holder with an updated graded since they were previously  graded by CSG?

*I understand that getting 10s was a real achievement in the past and I own 5 of them. They are the only ones recorded in population so I feel they are special. if 9.5 are moving up where are Pristine 10 going?

*At what point are you guys crossing over GMA graded cards. I have a few that I would like to crossover. If you are doing PSA,SGC & Beckett why not others?

- You'd need 50 raw cards to qualify for bulk.  Reholder is a service separate from grading.

- Yes, they'll be 10s in the new holder

- The new pop report is likely to be updated to combine the pristine/gem mint into one category.  This is an unfortunate side effect of the grading change.  Perfect 10s will still be unique on the pop report. If your 10s don't have subgrades, you may consider sending for a chance at a perfect 10 (if we can confirm subgrades are on file and there's a process for that).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What qualifies for the "mint plus 9.5" grade on the new grading scale out of the former grading scale? Would these be cards that graded "mint 9" that barely missed being graded a "gem mint 9.5" on the former grading scale, as evidenced by subgrades? EXAMPLE #1:  I have two cards that received "9 mint" with two subgrades of 9, and two subgrades of 9.5. EXAMPLE #2: I have a card that graded a "9 mint" with a subgrade of 8.5, two subgrades of 9.5, and a subgrade of 10. EXAMPLE #3: I have a card that graded "9 mint" with a subgrade of 8.5, a subgrade of 9.5, and two subgrades of 10. I am considering sending these cards in (along with my cards that graded "gem mint 9.5" on the former scale) to see if any of them would receive the new "mint plus 9.5," and any insight ahead of sending them in would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

With the ReHolder Service, any green label CSG card graded 9 or below, will be given the same grade in the new black label. Green label Gem Mint 9.5s will cross to Gem Mint 10s in the new black label.  Pristine 10s will be reviewed for a possible Perfect 10 black label.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2022 at 8:09 PM, RyanCSG said:

With the ReHolder Service, any green label CSG card graded 9 or below, will be given the same grade in the new black label. Green label Gem Mint 9.5s will cross to Gem Mint 10s in the new black label.  Pristine 10s will be Gem Mint 10s if sent in to be re-holdered.

Ok, so in order for a card that is clearly a Mint + as already slabbed (say 10,9.5,9,9) you're making people resubmit this card for full grading?  I have to pay full grading price for my card that's already graded to be looked at (see the sub grades) and then slab as a 9.5 Mint Plus?  Assuming this is correct, despite common sense, can you please confirm what the current sub grades need to be in order to be crossed to a 9.5?  I have the exact sub grades I mentioned above.  I would easily send in for a reslab, but only considering sending in if I have to pay full grading fee and wait months.  I'm definitely not sending it in if there isn't a clear line drawn re: what subgrades will constitute the bump to 9.5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 8:10 AM, original_otis said:

Ok, so in order for a card that is clearly a Mint + as already slabbed (say 10,9.5,9,9) you're making people resubmit this card for full grading?  I have to pay full grading price for my card that's already graded to be looked at (see the sub grades) and then slab as a 9.5 Mint Plus?  Assuming this is correct, despite common sense, can you please confirm what the current sub grades need to be in order to be crossed to a 9.5?  I have the exact sub grades I mentioned above.  I would easily send in for a reslab, but only considering sending in if I have to pay full grading fee and wait months.  I'm definitely not sending it in if there isn't a clear line drawn re: what subgrades will constitute the bump to 9.5.

CSG reps have never established a criteria for 9.5 Mint+ based upon 9 Mint subs. In fact, I think, to avoid this very issue, the CSG standard recommendation has been to "crack and sub" if you want to try for a better grade... as moronic as that is, functionally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 8:55 PM, northkorea said:

CSG reps have never established a criteria for 9.5 Mint+ based upon 9 Mint subs. In fact, I think, to avoid this very issue, the CSG standard recommendation has been to "crack and sub" if you want to try for a better grade... as moronic as that is, functionally.

!!! That's wild! There are clearly some sub grades currently that show (and would be described by anyone seeing them) as Mint +.  Crazy that they wouldn't just say "this is the minimum for current subgrades to be crossed to 9.5 Mint +".  It should be covered under a reslab, but at the very least they should make it clear and allow people to resubmit without having to crack them out of cases.  Would be easier for them on grading and easier for customer not having to crack it out.  I'm somewhat at a loss for words on how silly it is to just ignore this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CSG: I submitted approximately 30 cards in the old slabs, to be re-holdered.  Two of the cards were the following:

1954 Topps Warren Spahn CSG 8 

1955 Topps Don Mossi CSG 8

When I received the cards in the new slabs today, the Warren Spahn had been re-graded DOWN to a 7 and the Don Mossi had been re-graded DOWN to a 7.5.  Can someone from CSG please explain what is going on?  Why are my cards, that were already graded by CSG, being down graded?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 4/14/2022 at 8:44 PM, Leiataua Dr. Jon said:

CSG: I submitted approximately 30 cards in the old slabs, to be re-holdered.  Two of the cards were the following:

1954 Topps Warren Spahn CSG 8 

1955 Topps Don Mossi CSG 8

When I received the cards in the new slabs today, the Warren Spahn had been re-graded DOWN to a 7 and the Don Mossi had been re-graded DOWN to a 7.5.  Can someone from CSG please explain what is going on?  Why are my cards, that were already graded by CSG, being down graded?

I will reach out to customer service and have them look into this for you.  The cards should have been given the same grade in the new label. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 1:15 AM, RyanCSG said:

I will reach out to customer service and have them look into this for you.  The cards should have been given the same grade in the new label. 

Thanks Ryan!  I am sure it was an oversight.  I emailed Ashley Archer in customer service but didn't hear back.  She's been awesome to work with in the past but any help you can offer, would be greatly appreciated.  Overall, the new slabs kick butt, I love the new design and look, and can't wait to get my order of 88 cards in the newly designed slabs back.  And, I have more that I need to send in.  Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 2:44 PM, Leiataua Dr. Jon said:

CSG: I submitted approximately 30 cards in the old slabs, to be re-holdered.  Two of the cards were the following:

1954 Topps Warren Spahn CSG 8 

1955 Topps Don Mossi CSG 8

When I received the cards in the new slabs today, the Warren Spahn had been re-graded DOWN to a 7 and the Don Mossi had been re-graded DOWN to a 7.5.  Can someone from CSG please explain what is going on?  Why are my cards, that were already graded by CSG, being down graded?

If that is what happened, I would be, personally, happy. That means that CSG owes you a check for the downgrade (under the grade guarantee) and won't charge you for the reholder fee. I understand that you'd rather have the higher grade, but at least they're giving a true grade... which implies that they are actually regrading the cards, which is excellent news.

In this specific case, I really hope that Ryan is wrong, as I appreciate that they are correcting grading mistakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CSG has costed me a small fortune with this change, green labels seem very hard to sell now, and they send my last order of 60 cards days b4 the change in 21 days for bulk and dont give me a choice of the new label or delay my grading to the normal as mentioned 45 days so they get the new label, and now they want me to spend with S/H and insurance about $7 a card for new holders, B.S. csg treats original customers like , doubt you.ll see my business again, I lost a lot of interest in the hobby this past year, perhaps it time to leave the hobby and stop wasting my money  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 10:11 PM, DanHar said:

CSG has costed me a small fortune with this change, green labels seem very hard to sell now, and they send my last order of 60 cards days b4 the change in 21 days for bulk and dont give me a choice of the new label or delay my grading to the normal as mentioned 45 days so they get the new label, and now they want me to spend with S/H and insurance about $7 a card for new holders, B.S. csg treats original customers like , doubt you.ll see my business again, I lost a lot of interest in the hobby this past year, perhaps it time to leave the hobby and stop wasting my money  

I have found the opposite to be true. The change seems to have generated interest in green labels that was NEVER the case, before. Mind you, the prices suck, but at least people are interested now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't looked at CSG since I got wrecked in the travesty they had going on last year. Have to say, looking at these changes fresh it seems they're moving in a better direction. Enough to consider subbing.

Turn around looks back to being reasonable.

Slabs look way, way better.

Grading scale change is better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 4/15/2022 at 9:02 PM, Leiataua Dr. Jon said:

Thanks Ryan!  I am sure it was an oversight.  I emailed Ashley Archer in customer service but didn't hear back.  She's been awesome to work with in the past but any help you can offer, would be greatly appreciated.  Overall, the new slabs kick butt, I love the new design and look, and can't wait to get my order of 88 cards in the newly designed slabs back.  And, I have more that I need to send in.  Thanks again!

You're very welcome! I reached out customer service yesterday.  They are looking into this, so I will follow up with them on Monday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 8:43 AM, RyanCSG said:

You're very welcome! I reached out customer service yesterday.  They are looking into this, so I will follow up with them on Monday.

Question in regards to reslabbing.

Got a Juan Soto back as Pristine 10 when the Perfect 10 was only if you purchased sub grades. If I reholder does it get reviewed for Perfect 10, or do I have to regrade for that one .5 sub determination that I previously would've had to pay for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 4/16/2022 at 9:09 AM, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Question in regards to reslabbing.

Got a Juan Soto back as Pristine 10 when the Perfect 10 was only if you purchased sub grades. If I reholder does it get reviewed for Perfect 10, or do I have to regrade for that one .5 sub determination that I previously would've had to pay for.

This is the information that I was provided by our graders:

Nothing is being re-graded when it is submitted for crack and cross, with the exception of any Pristine 10 green label will be reviewed for a possible Perfect 10 black label.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 1:52 AM, northkorea said:

If that is what happened, I would be, personally, happy. That means that CSG owes you a check for the downgrade (under the grade guarantee) and won't charge you for the reholder fee. I understand that you'd rather have the higher grade, but at least they're giving a true grade... which implies that they are actually regrading the cards, which is excellent news.

In this specific case, I really hope that Ryan is wrong, as I appreciate that they are correcting grading mistakes.

Thanks for the wonderful, insightful, ever-wise opinion!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 3:09 AM, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Question in regards to reslabbing.

Got a Juan Soto back as Pristine 10 when the Perfect 10 was only if you purchased sub grades. If I reholder does it get reviewed for Perfect 10, or do I have to regrade for that one .5 sub determination that I previously would've had to pay for.

The most recent official response is that Pristine 10 (without subs) would be considered for Perfect 10. Personally, I think this is a *tad* unfair, since a 9.5 centering 10*3, which would be the very definition of black Perfect would get the 10 GM designation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the prices for the green label Pristine will go up in value because that is a grade that is no longer available. I will not reholder my Tiger Woods UD CSG PRISTINE 10 because the card looks dole on the old green case with the green card border. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2