• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CSG Ups Its Game with a New Label and Revised Grading Scale!
1 1

140 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Just in time for The MINT Collective, CSG is delivering a one-two punch: a fresh label along with market-friendly updates to its grading scale.

Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG®) is excited to reveal its brand-new certification label! The bold yet refined design is the result of months of research and development, including market studies, focus groups and extensive testing. Green is gone in favor of a black, silver and gold palette that will complement — not compete with — the colors of any sports card.

LEAN MORE

03_March23_CSG_Social_UpdatedLabel_Libby_c1_v2.jpg

On 3/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, CGCRyan said:

Just in time for The MINT Collective, CSG is delivering a one-two punch: a fresh label along with market-friendly updates to its grading scale.

Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG®) is excited to reveal its brand-new certification label! The bold yet refined design is the result of months of research and development, including market studies, focus groups and extensive testing. Green is gone in favor of a black, silver and gold palette that will complement — not compete with — the colors of any sports card.

LEAN MORE

The big question is. If we send our 9.5's back for reholder, will the be returned to us as 10's?

I might be in the minority, but I strongly dislike the new label design. For me, it evokes images of defunct/perceived lower-quality grading companies (e.g. GMA or GSA). It is such a shame because I absolutely loved the green CSG labels and they provided a unique brand image in the industry. This change makes it significantly less likely that I will send cards to CSG for grading in the future.  

On 3/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, CGCRyan said:

LEAN MORE

I have several CSG cards that I would like to get put in the re holder, but I cannot find a form for this process. Need help with the procedures for re-holdering 

On 3/25/2022 at 4:07 PM, mash75 said:

I have several CSG cards that I would like to get put in the re holder, but I cannot find a form for this process. Need help with the procedures for re-holdering 

Create a new submission. Reholder is a choice there.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:47 PM, JohnBurke said:

How is eliminating sub grades going to speed up turnover times? Come to think of it, how did it ever slow them down? Don’t graders need to take into account all 4 sub grade aspects to arrive at the final grade anyway?

kinda sux i really liked the subgrades I was learning exactly how they grade and how to improve, im curious about the perfect 10, it reads like you have to request a shot at the perfect 10 and if you do get the perfect 10 there will be subgrades with it? does that come at an extra fee with each card? I liked the green but new labels arent bad whatever but what you think about the scale change? I think its gonna be a total game changer for csg and the hobby It was absolutely nessacary because when psa opens bulk csg cant be giving out 9.5 gems its absolutley whats needed to compete with psa, i say psa because sgc cant compete with csg prices and sgc dont have the resale like psa does, major power move by csg they got the price point the slab and the man power to keep turn around times fast. Congrats Csg there goin for that number one spot and i think there gonna take it in the near future, but bring back the subs like ya said wtf so hard bout sub grades 😂

On 3/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, micky 8 said:

kinda sux i really liked the subgrades I was learning exactly how they grade and how to improve, im curious about the perfect 10, it reads like you have to request a shot at the perfect 10 and if you do get the perfect 10 there will be subgrades with it? does that come at an extra fee with each card? I liked the green but new labels arent bad whatever but what you think about the scale change? I think its gonna be a total game changer for csg and the hobby It was absolutely nessacary because when psa opens bulk csg cant be giving out 9.5 gems its absolutley whats needed to compete with psa, i say psa because sgc cant compete with csg prices and sgc dont have the resale like psa does, major power move by csg they got the price point the slab and the man power to keep turn around times fast. Congrats Csg there goin for that number one spot and i think there gonna take it in the near future, but bring back the subs like ya said wtf so hard bout sub grades 😂

You don't have to request subs on a perfect 10, they will be included for free if the card gets four 10 subgrades.

On 3/25/2022 at 2:35 PM, Naretta said:

I might be in the minority, but I strongly dislike the new label design. For me, it evokes images of defunct/perceived lower-quality grading companies (e.g. GMA or GSA). It is such a shame because I absolutely loved the green CSG labels and they provided a unique brand image in the industry. This change makes it significantly less likely that I will send cards to CSG for grading in the future.  

I thought of this too, and considered the low-end grading angle.

I think you have to use a fairly neutral color or pick a defining color.  Gray/Black might invoke those companies, but that's where the name of CGC/CSG matters in driving the quality of the brand recognition.

Green was a bold but divisive choice, red is already used by PSA, and blue is used by CGC.   There aren't a lot of other directions to go when designing in a 1" x 4" space (unless they want to basically commit brand suicide and become HGA).

I think the label looks good all things considered and was a smart choice.