CSG Ups Its Game with a New Label and Revised Grading Scale!
2 2

140 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2022 at 1:56 PM, AM Cards said:

I assume the slab itself is still clear?  Hard to tell with it on a black background in the Brady pic.  I think the Gem Mint 10 designation will help sales for collectors.

Same slab - only the label has changed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, RyanCSG said:

Just in time for The MINT Collective, CSG is delivering a one-two punch: a fresh label along with market-friendly updates to its grading scale.

Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG®) is excited to reveal its brand-new certification label! The bold yet refined design is the result of months of research and development, including market studies, focus groups and extensive testing. Green is gone in favor of a black, silver and gold palette that will complement — not compete with — the colors of any sports card.

LEAN MORE

03_March23_CSG_Social_UpdatedLabel_Libby_c1_v2.jpg

The big question is. If we send our 9.5's back for reholder, will the be returned to us as 10's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I might be in the minority, but I strongly dislike the new label design. For me, it evokes images of defunct/perceived lower-quality grading companies (e.g. GMA or GSA). It is such a shame because I absolutely loved the green CSG labels and they provided a unique brand image in the industry. This change makes it significantly less likely that I will send cards to CSG for grading in the future.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 12:31 PM, RyanCSG said:

Just in time for The MINT Collective, CSG is delivering a one-two punch: a fresh label along with market-friendly updates to its grading scale.

Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG®) is excited to reveal its brand-new certification label! The bold yet refined design is the result of months of research and development, including market studies, focus groups and extensive testing. Green is gone in favor of a black, silver and gold palette that will complement — not compete with — the colors of any sports card.

LEAN MORE

03_March23_CSG_Social_UpdatedLabel_Libby_c1_v2.jpg

I have several CSG cards that I would like to get put in the re holder, but I cannot find a form for this process. Need help with the procedures for re-holdering 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 4:07 PM, mash75 said:

I have several CSG cards that I would like to get put in the re holder, but I cannot find a form for this process. Need help with the procedures for re-holdering 

Create a new submission. Reholder is a choice there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 3:47 PM, JohnBurke said:

How is eliminating sub grades going to speed up turnover times? Come to think of it, how did it ever slow them down? Don’t graders need to take into account all 4 sub grade aspects to arrive at the final grade anyway?

kinda sux i really liked the subgrades I was learning exactly how they grade and how to improve, im curious about the perfect 10, it reads like you have to request a shot at the perfect 10 and if you do get the perfect 10 there will be subgrades with it? does that come at an extra fee with each card? I liked the green but new labels arent bad whatever but what you think about the scale change? I think its gonna be a total game changer for csg and the hobby It was absolutely nessacary because when psa opens bulk csg cant be giving out 9.5 gems its absolutley whats needed to compete with psa, i say psa because sgc cant compete with csg prices and sgc dont have the resale like psa does, major power move by csg they got the price point the slab and the man power to keep turn around times fast. Congrats Csg there goin for that number one spot and i think there gonna take it in the near future, but bring back the subs like ya said wtf so hard bout sub grades 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, micky 8 said:

kinda sux i really liked the subgrades I was learning exactly how they grade and how to improve, im curious about the perfect 10, it reads like you have to request a shot at the perfect 10 and if you do get the perfect 10 there will be subgrades with it? does that come at an extra fee with each card? I liked the green but new labels arent bad whatever but what you think about the scale change? I think its gonna be a total game changer for csg and the hobby It was absolutely nessacary because when psa opens bulk csg cant be giving out 9.5 gems its absolutley whats needed to compete with psa, i say psa because sgc cant compete with csg prices and sgc dont have the resale like psa does, major power move by csg they got the price point the slab and the man power to keep turn around times fast. Congrats Csg there goin for that number one spot and i think there gonna take it in the near future, but bring back the subs like ya said wtf so hard bout sub grades 😂

You don't have to request subs on a perfect 10, they will be included for free if the card gets four 10 subgrades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, oluckydayo said:

You don't have to request subs on a perfect 10, they will be included for free if the card gets four 10 subgrades.

thats fantastic! thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 2:35 PM, Naretta said:

I might be in the minority, but I strongly dislike the new label design. For me, it evokes images of defunct/perceived lower-quality grading companies (e.g. GMA or GSA). It is such a shame because I absolutely loved the green CSG labels and they provided a unique brand image in the industry. This change makes it significantly less likely that I will send cards to CSG for grading in the future.  

I thought of this too, and considered the low-end grading angle.

I think you have to use a fairly neutral color or pick a defining color.  Gray/Black might invoke those companies, but that's where the name of CGC/CSG matters in driving the quality of the brand recognition.

Green was a bold but divisive choice, red is already used by PSA, and blue is used by CGC.   There aren't a lot of other directions to go when designing in a 1" x 4" space (unless they want to basically commit brand suicide and become HGA).

I think the label looks good all things considered and was a smart choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 4:36 PM, oluckydayo said:

I thought of this too, and considered the low-end grading angle.

I think you have to use a fairly neutral color or pick a defining color.  Gray/Black might invoke those companies, but that's where the name of CGC/CSG matters in driving the quality of the brand recognition.

Green was a bold but divisive choice, red is already used by PSA, and blue is used by CGC.   There aren't a lot of other directions to go when designing in a 1" x 4" space (unless they want to basically commit brand suicide and become HGA).

I think the label looks good all things considered and was a smart choice.

you see on the brady rc the csg part with blue n teal, is that a team card match? I agree i thought the green was a powerful brand color and reminds ya of sports but new one is nice and with there slab it more then works, is that card matching or are all slabs have that blue n teal? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 4:43 PM, micky 8 said:

you see on the brady rc the csg part with blue n teal, is that a team card match? I agree i thought the green was a powerful brand color and reminds ya of sports but new one is nice and with there slab it more then works, is that card matching or are all slabs have that blue n teal? 

I think that is just how the light is hitting the foil in that area of the label.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, micky 8 said:

kinda sux i really liked the subgrades I was learning exactly how they grade and how to improve, im curious about the perfect 10, it reads like you have to request a shot at the perfect 10 and if you do get the perfect 10 there will be subgrades with it? does that come at an extra fee with each card? I liked the green but new labels arent bad whatever but what you think about the scale change? I think its gonna be a total game changer for csg and the hobby It was absolutely nessacary because when psa opens bulk csg cant be giving out 9.5 gems its absolutley whats needed to compete with psa, i say psa because sgc cant compete with csg prices and sgc dont have the resale like psa does, major power move by csg they got the price point the slab and the man power to keep turn around times fast. Congrats Csg there goin for that number one spot and i think there gonna take it in the near future, but bring back the subs like ya said wtf so hard bout sub grades 😂

Yeah I’m with you on that and as I said previously I don’t really understand what’s really going on there.. in terms of the scale change, yeah I get why this would appeal to people that like the visual stimulation of seeing “10”. But with that in mind, their other company CGC is definitely not changing their scale. And you know who else isn’t.. BGS. And a BGS 10 as of now holds more value than a PSA 10 as it should. They could have chosen that path also, would have been my preferred but I still will stick with them either way  

Edited by JohnBurke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 4:11 PM, JohnBurke said:

Yeah I’m with you on that and as I said previously I don’t really understand what’s really going on there.. in terms of the scale change, yeah I get why this would appeal to people that like the visual stimulation of seeing “10”. But with that in mind, their other company CGC is definitely not changing their scale. And you know who else isn’t.. BGS. And a BGS 10 as of now holds more value than a PSA 10 as it should. They could have chosen that path also, would have been my preferred but I still will stick with them either way  

I wish they included CSg 10 pristine into consideration and not juast bundling it with gem mint 10. Its very hard to get a CSG 10 and am very proud of my only one with more than 200+ subs. I am disappointed there but will definitely not reholder that and keep the old green label here. Plus, those of us who paid subgrades should not be charged a reholder fee since we paid the extra for subgrades

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, AshkyBarashky said:

I wish they included CSg 10 pristine into consideration and not juast bundling it with gem mint 10. Its very hard to get a CSG 10 and am very proud of my only one with more than 200+ subs. I am disappointed there but will definitely not reholder that and keep the old green label here. Plus, those of us who paid subgrades should not be charged a reholder fee since we paid the extra for subgrades

100% agree with your last statement. I literally just got my recent sub shipped back too, wish they would have given a heads up on this (although if I would have held off then my pristines from that order would have only been gems haha so I guess I’m happy) 
 I feel good to have some pristine 10s though too, def not sending those in as they are clearly superior to any future gem mint 10s of same card. And as time goes on they will be even more rare unless someone happens to land a perfect 10 of said card. Top pop secured :) really hope they still keep that category in the pop report and don’t lump them into gem

Edited by JohnBurke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2