• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Label Reholder Question
2 2

67 posts in this topic

Love the new label. Quick question regarding the reholder offer. Will cards previously graded 9.5 Gem Mint cross to Gem Mint 10 if submitted for reholder? Or will only previously Pristine 10s cross to the new Gem Mint 10? I'm hoping Gem Mint is still Gem Mint with this change CSG is just changing the scale to eliminate confusion in the hobby and match the competition.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:28 PM, CGCRyan said:

@PunsRTonsOfFun

A green label Gem Mint 9.5 will cross to a new black label Gem Mint 10.  Pristine 10s will also become Gem Mint 10s in the new label.

So green label 9.5s and green label pristine 10s are being lumped into the same category then? And this data will be combined in the pop report? So that kind of cheapens a black label gem mint 10 compared to a green label pristine 10 right?

The Rep I spoke to on the phone indicated that all reholders will be cracked open and not guaranteed to cross at any specific grade and advised not sending in the 9.5 that were previously gem mint?

Can you clarify? @CGCRyan

Similarly a 9 with subgrades of 9 and 9.5 may cross into a 9.5 in the new black label as well?

Edited by Ryan Snyder

On 3/25/2022 at 12:58 PM, JohnBurke said:

So green label 9.5s and green label pristine 10s are being lumped into the same category then? And this data will be combined in the pop report? So that kind of cheapens a black label gem mint 10 compared to a green label pristine 10 right?

Correct...it was sort of dubious differentiation to begin with. The difference between a Pristine and a Gem Mint was one subgrade and a half point.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, Ryan Snyder said:

The Rep I spoke to on the phone indicated that all reholders will be cracked open and not guaranteed to cross at any specific grade and advised not sending in the 9.5 that were previously gem mint?

Can you clarify? @CGCRyan

Similarly a 9 with subgrades of 9 and 9.5 may cross into a 9.5 in the new black label as well?

The changes CSG announced today are great and change the game in the grading industry, but they will become problematic if we get two different answers from two different resources.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:28 PM, CGCRyan said:

@PunsRTonsOfFun

A green label Gem Mint 9.5 will cross to a new black label Gem Mint 10.  Pristine 10s will also become Gem Mint 10s in the new label.

But will that happen AUTOMATICALLY for all cards or are they going to be re-evaluated and some may become 9s or the "new 9.5"?

On 3/25/2022 at 10:28 AM, CGCRyan said:

@PunsRTonsOfFun

CSG1020354-001_OBV@300x472.jpg.a47760181964de6aa80998b47691ff08.jpgWhat would this be then?

On 3/25/2022 at 11:31 AM, CGCRyan said:

This was from our Senior Grading Finalizer Andy Broome on Twitter to confirm my response earlier about green label Gem Mint 9.5s crossing to black label Gem Mint 10s.  They will not need to be regraded.

Andy.jpg

On 3/25/2022 at 3:42 PM, DylKyl said:

CSG1020354-001_OBV@300x472.jpg.57e611415cef1a7babc27a29485d999a.jpgSo would this count as a gem meant 10 if sent in or a perfect 10?

I'd honestly leave it in the green slab. Great eye appeal. I am not sending any of my green Soto 9.5s in for reholder.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:22 PM, jsrva said:

I'd honestly leave it in the green slab. Great eye appeal. I am not sending any of my green Soto 9.5s in for reholder.

If it's for a PC, I agree.  But If you are selling on Ebay, people will start to search for CSG 10 and may miss the old 9.5s.  I always put "CSG 9.5 GEM MINT" in my titles, but I don't know if people search that way or not.  I am going to re-holder my bigger cards that are now 9.5s such as Brady, Morant, etc...but I will probably leave the lesser ones that got 9.5s as they are.

On 3/25/2022 at 4:44 PM, AM Cards said:

If it's for a PC, I agree.  But If you are selling on Ebay, people will start to search for CSG 10 and may miss the old 9.5s.  I always put "CSG 9.5 GEM MINT" in my titles, but I don't know if people search that way or not.  I am going to re-holder my bigger cards that are now 9.5s such as Brady, Morant, etc...but I will probably leave the lesser ones that got 9.5s as they are.

100% doing the same. Auctions for CSG cards have been a disaster on eBay for sellers. Hoping the new standardized 10 Gem Mint grade will help with that.