• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Label Reholder Question
2 2

67 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2022 at 8:37 AM, KB! said:

@CGCRyan, two quick questions:

1. If sending in a BGS 9.5 Gem Mint for crossover service same grade or higher, is CSG considering CSG 9.5 Mint+ or CSG 10 Gem Mint the same as the BGS 9.5 Gem Mint?

2. How do you submit a CSG card for review to a higher grade?  I have some CSG 9s with strong subs that I would like to see if they can qualify for a CSG 9.5 Mint+.

Thank you!

1) Although this contradicts all the PR behind the new labels, I would think 9.5 would cross 9.5. Are you allowed to say minimum grade 10? I think that simply isn't possible, since CSG grades are so surface sensitive.

2) It would be submitted as a full resubmission. There is a clause *somewhere* that says cards can get damaged when removed from the holder, so your grade might suffer. I think this would be the specific instance where that would apply.

• Administrator
On 5/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, KB! said:

@CGCRyan, two quick questions:

1. If sending in a BGS 9.5 Gem Mint for crossover service same grade or higher, is CSG considering CSG 9.5 Mint+ or CSG 10 Gem Mint the same as the BGS 9.5 Gem Mint?

2. How do you submit a CSG card for review to a higher grade?  I have some CSG 9s with strong subs that I would like to see if they can qualify for a CSG 9.5 Mint+.

Thank you!

Here is some information that I received:
  1. It is totally dependent on BGS grading for that specific card. We have had BGS 9.5s cross into CSG 10s, and we've had BGS 9.5s get dropped to 8.5s. A case-by-case basis for each card will determine the grade it crosses into. Most the time it should be at least CSG 9.5 mint plus but not a guarantee. 
  2. To send in CSG cards for re-review, the customer has to treat them like a crossover and pay crossover fees. If they want a minimum grade, they must input it otherwise it will be cracked regardless. Possible CSG 9s with sub grades that they want going into 9.5 mint plus will have to be strong candidates. For example (9.5/9.5/9/9). 

On 5/8/2022 at 3:09 AM, CGCRyan said:
Here is some information that I received:
  1. It is totally dependent on BGS grading for that specific card. We have had BGS 9.5s cross into CSG 10s, and we've had BGS 9.5s get dropped to 8.5s. A case-by-case basis for each card will determine the grade it crosses into. Most the time it should be at least CSG 9.5 mint plus but not a guarantee. 
  2. To send in CSG cards for re-review, the customer has to treat them like a crossover and pay crossover fees. If they want a minimum grade, they must input it otherwise it will be cracked regardless. Possible CSG 9s with sub grades that they want going into 9.5 mint plus will have to be strong candidates. For example (9.5/9.5/9/9). 

I think #2 is ridiculous, to be plainly candid. If you paid $12 for the original fee plus $9 for the subs, you're going to be charged another $12 to have a label change color. This *really* sucks for the last bulk batch before the black label.

CSG should just decide, internally, that they made a mistake in saying "all green 9s will reholder as black 9s." If people paid for subs, and the 9.5*2/9*2 (or better) is the threshold for Mint+, just let people do the $5 reholder deal.

That said, after 30 June, CSG should stop guaranteeing that green 9.5s will cross to black 10s. By making it a "lifetime" policy, collectors are incentivized to NOT convert to the black label, as they will assume they can maximize future value.

By having a hard end date to the numeric "upgrade," it forces green label holders to take action now, rather than sitting on greens.

@CGCRyan

Thanks for the reply.  Just to clarify, I want to keep the BGS 9.5 in the BGS holder if it does not cross to CSG 10.  Is that considered "same grade or higher" service?

Thanks again!

Edited by KB!

On 5/9/2022 at 4:13 AM, KB! said:

@CGCRyan

Thanks for the reply.  Just to clarify, I want to keep the BGS 9.5 in the BGS holder if it does not cross to CSG 10.  Is that considered "same grade or higher" service?

Thanks again!

That would require you to "Min Grade 10" on the card. That poses an interesting question, as BGS 9.5 is Gem Mint, like the Green 9.5. I think, although CSG has been trying to make that argument, they would have some instances of someone deciding "This would be at least a CSG 9.5" and cracking it out for grading.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:09 AM, CGCRyan said:
To send in CSG cards for re-review, the customer has to treat them like a crossover and pay crossover fees. If they want a minimum grade, they must input it otherwise it will be cracked regardless. Possible CSG 9s with sub grades that they want going into 9.5 mint plus will have to be strong candidates. For example (9.5/9.5/9/9). 

@CGCRyan

Once again, thank you for the info.  One more question, sorry.  When choosing crossover service on the submission form, there is no selection for CSG cards, only SGC, PSA, Beckett.  Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Untitled.png

On 5/13/2022 at 1:38 AM, KB! said:

@CGCRyan

Once again, thank you for the info.  One more question, sorry.  When choosing crossover service on the submission form, there is no selection for CSG cards, only SGC, PSA, Beckett.  Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Untitled.png

There is no truly functional way to do what you're asking. It would "cross" at same grade or higher, meaning your green 9 will be cracked if it would garner at least a black 9 grade. Effectively, it will ALWAYS be cracked out. This is why I said what I did about CSG needing to decide on a standard for 9.5 MINT+ that translates from specific subs from Green 9 MINT & Green 9.5 Gem Mint.