• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Card Returned "SU"

11 posts in this topic

I sent in a card for a walkthrough this week and it was returned SU. I did a little reading on other threads on here and other forums, but never really found an answer for this particular problem. Customer service has been silent. CSG has graded this exact card twice according to their database. It's not particularly old as it's from Fleer 2000. I don't mind getting a card back, but some explanation would be nice. Did they think it was altered? Fake? From an alien world? Does anybody have any experience with this or any idea as to why they would not grade it?

On 3/4/2022 at 7:19 AM, ctknoxville said:

Thanks for the reply! It's appreciated greatly! I'll try calling as they haven't responded to any email inquiries at all.

It's always best to just pick up the phone and call.

Well, calling was useless. A very nice rep, but they had NO INFORMATION. They said it may have been that it didn't fit in a holder. It may have been that it was altered or trimmed. I suggested that it would be helpful to keep notes for people when things like this happen, but I think I offended them or something with that suggestion. LOL. Terrible customer service IMO. Those are big differences between the possible types of issues!

On 3/5/2022 at 7:03 AM, TheRealKyleMcC said:

What card is it?  2000 Fleer but what are the exact card details?

I don't really see why that should matter? If you submit something, and they think it's potentially altered, they should tell you. Isn't that one of the reasons that we submit cards? To make sure they are real and unaltered? If it's a size that doesn't fit a holder, that's an entirely different problem. I am not attacking you, and apologize if it comes off that way, but am very frustrated by something that seems simple and logical. If you see something that you deem altered, wouldn't that be a logical thing to inform a customer?

Ok. More weird info for this one. The card was finally returned today. It had a note with it that stated "Must go through authentication before we are able to grade."  Well, I'm even more confused. I know that CSG doesn't authenticate autographs that are on cards without a certification from the company on the back, but the 2000 fleer tradition cards definitely include it. Now, I'll have to send to another grading company and I would have preferred to stick with CSG. It's very time consuming and frustrating for something that seems like it should have been avoided from the beginning. 

Just got results from a recent sub from CSG.....

I had 1 card come back as SU with no explanation - a 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken (obscenity on bat)

Note that this particular Ripken had a "Sawcut" error which is widely recognized by both SGC and PSA as one of the variations....

WTF guys -  

On 3/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, ctknoxville said:

Ok. More weird info for this one. The card was finally returned today. It had a note with it that stated "Must go through authentication before we are able to grade."  Well, I'm even more confused. I know that CSG doesn't authenticate autographs that are on cards without a certification from the company on the back, but the 2000 fleer tradition cards definitely include it. Now, I'll have to send to another grading company and I would have preferred to stick with CSG. It's very time consuming and frustrating for something that seems like it should have been avoided from the beginning. 

Fleer autographs from that period (1997-2003) need authentication, since so many were backdoored or liquidated in the bankruptcy auction. Many were released into the public without signatures, and marked as authenticated by Fleer.

There must be a master list of which cards those were, and, maybe, the card you sent in was on the list. Can you post front and back photos of the card? It's really hard to offer a fair opinion when you're defensive about someone asking which card it was.