• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REALLY NEED OPINIONS! SOMETHING SMELLS ROTTEN

77 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2022 at 9:22 AM, JonWarren said:

I understand an 8, 8, 9, 2 will get maybe a 2.5 or 3, I even understand the low grades we received. In a fair world, the 4 grades would get averaged and the final grade would be a MEDIAN rather than a heavily weighted down grade. Alas. Why this is not the methodology baffles me.

When I bought this card, years ago, I think I paid $13. The centering virtually ensures it will never be worth too much more than that. That said, I got it graded because Messier is my favorite player, and I didn't want to risk it sliding out of a toploader and becoming a $1 card. :D

Screenshot_20220519-145159_Chrome.jpg

I did a test of CSG v SGC v PSA and I have to say this…..I got 2 9s on a PSA and 8.5s from CSG and SGC. And I did a batch for SGC and CSG and have to say these 2 services are EXACTLY ON PAR W EACH OTHER and the same grade quality. PSA was the “nicest” grader. The 9.5s options from CSG and SGC Miss some 10s, but I’ll buy either with confidence 

On 5/29/2022 at 9:47 AM, Matt Zai said:

I did a test of CSG v SGC v PSA and I have to say this…..I got 2 9s on a PSA and 8.5s from CSG and SGC. And I did a batch for SGC and CSG and have to say these 2 services are EXACTLY ON PAR W EACH OTHER and the same grade quality. PSA was the “nicest” grader. The 9.5s options from CSG and SGC Miss some 10s, but I’ll buy either with confidence 

That comment on SGC seems to contradict nearly everything I've seen on Twitter, as of late. I've seen posts claiming that PSA 5s were cracked out and graded at SGC as 9s, 9.5s, and 10.

Is it possible to see one of each of the PSA, SGC, and CSG cards being referenced?

I did it with PSA v SGC for GPKs These were Adam Bomb and I got a .5 pt lower on both SGC v PSA (true we can never know the exact difference) but I found it interesting. As for the 2 I did across all 3 were a 1984 Topps Rickey Henderson (3 total) and 3 2020 Bowman 1st Chrome Austin Wells

All I am saying all 3 have been consistent, agreed PSA fetches the most money, but is it worth the price when coming to ROI?  I would happily buy a CSG Gem Mint 10 without a problem.

PSA will continue to fetch higher prices, followed by SGC, but CSG deserves a spot in the top 3

The bummer is return on investment. All three companies pretty much grade accordingly. All close enuff and legit.  Unfortunately people only pay  proper for PSA. Prices should be equal if grades are equal.  But that won't happen. so stupid. Everybody's credit report from 3 companies carries the same weight. But not card grading companies. joke and ripoff. Grade a in card for 10 bucks it ain't that hard. Allow the card owners to make some money. I have cards worth 50 bucks graded. But can't get them graded cause lose money. this mess. Sellers getting .  

On 5/29/2022 at 4:16 PM, Matt Zai said:

All I am saying all 3 have been consistent, agreed PSA fetches the most money, but is it worth the price when coming to ROI?  I would happily buy a CSG Gem Mint 10 without a problem.

PSA will continue to fetch higher prices, followed by SGC, but CSG deserves a spot in the top 3

SGC stopped being top-3 the moment they got bought out by a known card doctor.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:22 PM, Fredguy11:11 said:

Everybody's credit report from 3 companies carries the same weight. But not card grading companies.

That statement is inaccurate about the reporting agencies. It depends on which one or two the financial institution utilizes. Usually a third one gets pulled only if there are weird results from the first two.

I do have the backs. But I graded my 2 “checklist” Adam Bombs w PSA. The only GPK comparison I have for SGC v PSA is the award back. 8 v 6.5. I received an 8 and 7 from PSA for my 2 checklist backs. Point in the end is all 3 are pretty close. The .5 point w SGC and CSG can either hurt or help you. Feel like I get more 9.5s…..wonder if they would be 10 or 9 w PSA

On 5/30/2022 at 8:07 AM, Matt Zai said:

I do have the backs. But I graded my 2 “checklist” Adam Bombs w PSA. The only GPK comparison I have for SGC v PSA is the award back. 8 v 6.5. I received an 8 and 7 from PSA for my 2 checklist backs. Point in the end is all 3 are pretty close. The .5 point w SGC and CSG can either hurt or help you. Feel like I get more 9.5s…..wonder if they would be 10 or 9 w PSA

CSG green 9.5 would be more likely to PSA 10. CSG black 9.5 would be more likely to PSA 9. SGC 9.5 would likely be PSA 8 or lower.

Basically the common theme and best bet is to use CSG grading for your “$20-$100 9.5/10s” and PSA for anything above. SGC, now that I have graded and sold close to 110 GPKs series 1, is not worth the money. Pay up for PSA. I used CSG on about 16 wander Franco RCs from various brands and graded some other 2022 Bowman 1st I’m hoping to be ahead of the curve. I could lose if they bust but rather lose $12-15. But did this recently and got a few too many 9.5s to my liking. 😫