REALLY NEED OPINIONS! SOMETHING SMELLS ROTTEN
2 2

77 posts in this topic

I sent out a 50 card bulk in mid-December and it has already been shipped.  I sent it in mid-December, so it wasn't sitting long before being marked as scheduled for grading.  They were pretty up to date at that point on opening packages.  Is this becoming the new norm, or just a lucky break for me.  We'll see - I just sent in another bulk order rec'd on 2/11, so we'll see how long that takes.

CSG7312239121
12/23/21
50
305
Bulk (50-card minimum)
2/22/22

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sent in 11 cards for economy turnaround 40 days.  CSG received them less than a week after I mailed them out. They received on them on Feb 22nd.  In submission tracking I had the gradesand a return shipping date to me of Feb 24th. As I write this it still 45 minutes until it is actually Feb 24th. My cards went through the entire CSG grading process in 24 hours. Someone is yanking my chain. That is not possible. In addition all the grades were significantly lower than expected. Can someone explain how the highest sub-graded Namath card got the lowest overall grade??? By far the allegedly best centered card by 2.5 full points and all other subs the same or close enough got a lower grade.  See below.  Am I nuckin futs or do I have an issue here? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

 

Namath grades.PNG

turnaround.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree. My turnaround time was way faster than expected which I guess is good? But the grades were way lower than expected. Very unreasonable as far as I’m concerned. I won’t be sending any more cards here. Waste of money. 

Edited by I dont have one
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can add to that.  My bulk submission was turned around in 8 days after submission.  129 cards.  So disappointed in the grades that I have to go elsewhere. I don't want to pay PSA prices, but here's an example:

the tommy John, 66 Rose, Marichal, etc... of course these are lower rated cards. They're old. They weren't protected well in the early years of their lives. I get that.

but what is the hatred for the Lisa Leslie, the Jordans, the Strawberry?  I'll post the pics of the cards and would love to hear your thoughts.  Again, the turnaround time and bulk pricing is fantastic. But not one Griffey came back better than an 8, some were 5.5's. I'm not new. I get the hobby and the business. But, CSG had a great shot at replacing or at least competing with PSA and I think they've missed their opportunity.  Again, let me know your thoughts as I see no creases or major defects that should warrant such low grades.

So, from the three that you see and the grades they were given, am I missing something and if so, please let me know what.  I really would appreciate it as I don't want to submit cards again that bring these types of grades.

Thanks!

 

image.png.6c75bcc91fbaffd17bde82fe058d5f52.png

image.png.01801a9792fae6f491544fffa2f0d2a3.png

 

image.png.1a29b65acceb26a67b11071192adc296.png

image.png.fb418d3d471cadfedb6f497927f03955.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2022 at 8:53 AM, Cardsharp1 said:

WOW John Fisher those are some shockingly grades. Your cards look better than that to me.

There is literally no way to tell from those photos if there is damage to the surface or to the back of the cards. Just because a card presents well in a slab/photo does not mean that the card is a gem. 

 

On 2/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, Fredguy11:11 said:

I sent in 11 cards for economy turnaround 40 days.  CSG received them less than a week after I mailed them out. They received on them on Feb 22nd.  In submission tracking I had the gradesand a return shipping date to me of Feb 24th. As I write this it still 45 minutes until it is actually Feb 24th. My cards went through the entire CSG grading process in 24 hours. Someone is yanking my chain. That is not possible. In addition all the grades were significantly lower than expected. Can someone explain how the highest sub-graded Namath card got the lowest overall grade??? By far the allegedly best centered card by 2.5 full points and all other subs the same or close enough got a lower grade.  See below.  Am I nuckin futs or do I have an issue here? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

 

Namath grades.PNG

turnaround.PNG

The sub-grades do not get averaged to make your final grade, so the reason your one Namath got a 4.5 has to do with the corners. The overall grade cannot be more than one point higher than the lowest sub-grade, so the highest possible on that card would be a 5 overall. The corners must present pretty bad for it to keep it at a 4.5 and not a 5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @Cardsharp1. Glad I'm not the only one. And, @Kon_Jelly, you are 100% correct. However, having been a collector for 40 years, I feel like I know when a card has defects this extreme that would warrant such low grades. But, again, you're correct, 2D screengrabs never can tell the whole story. I think I'm mostly disappointed in the Leslie and Strawberry. With the exception of some centering, these are such nice cards with sharp corners and surfaces. Oh well, it is now in the past and we must move on.  Good weekend to you both.  Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2022 at 9:19 AM, Kon_Jelly said:

There is literally no way to tell from those photos if there is damage to the surface or to the back of the cards. Just because a card presents well in a slab/photo does not mean that the card is a gem. 

 

The sub-grades do not get averaged to make your final grade, so the reason your one Namath got a 4.5 has to do with the corners. The overall grade cannot be more than one point higher than the lowest sub-grade, so the highest possible on that card would be a 5 overall. The corners must present pretty bad for it to keep it at a 4.5 and not a 5. 

Ok if that's the way it's done it's crazy. I had another card.. Subs 7,7,7,3. Grade was 3.5. Basically the 7s in 3 categories are irrelevant and in no way offset the 3 surface. What would a 10, 10, 20, 2 overall grade be, a 2???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2022 at 2:11 PM, I dont have one said:

I’m not new at this and have sent cards in to multiple grading services (PSA, SGC, HGA) in the past so I certainly have reference to judge grades by. I examine my cards with a lighted magnified jewelers loupe before I send them in. While I don’t expect all 9.5’s and 10’s the grades I got here were absurd. Mostly 8’s. I don't send in 8’s for grading. Plenty of others on here agree with my assessment of this service so I’d say you're misinformed if you think “most” would say they are accurate. They are not. I only wish I read these boards before I wasted my money here. 

Plenty of trolls on here agree with you, sure. Notice how it's always someone with just one or two posts and that's it? 

I'm sure HGA would love to give you 9s and 10s for the cards you sent in. Their AI should be up and running by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, AM Cards said:

I sent out a 50 card bulk in mid-December and it has already been shipped.  I sent it in mid-December, so it wasn't sitting long before being marked as scheduled for grading.  They were pretty up to date at that point on opening packages.  Is this becoming the new norm, or just a lucky break for me.  We'll see - I just sent in another bulk order rec'd on 2/11, so we'll see how long that takes.

CSG7312239121
12/23/21
50
305
Bulk (50-card minimum)
2/22/22

 

My turnaround time from when they received the cards to when they posted my grades was literally 24 hours. How carefully did they look at the cards. I love the speed but that seems crazy and haphazard.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2022 at 7:53 AM, Cardsharp1 said:

WOW John Fisher those are some shockingly harsh grades. Your cards look better than that to me.

@Cardsharp1 - just following up with you on the Strawberry, Leslie and Jordan grades I received.  I emailed CSG to ask for notes or rationale for the grades and received this message, "Thank you for reaching out to CSG. Unfortunately, there are no Grader's notes available for your cards at this time. Although we cannot advise on why a card received a specific grade, we can assure you each card was reviewed by multiple Graders before the final grade was agreed upon."

This is unique to me as I have inquired in the past to both ISA and SGC regarding grades and both were able to provide me with a grader's notes or reasons for the grade. In fact, in both cases, they were absolutely correct and I missed something when I looked at the card and thought it was worthy of grading. (one time there was a crease all the way across the back of a card - turns out I had 2 copies and submitted the wrong one). Anyway, I am sending these three cards to SGC for a re-grade.  I'll let you know how it comes back.  I have looked all three of them over and, again, being a 40 veteran of card collecting, have found nothing to warrant such low grades. Will keep you in the loop.  Happy collecting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2