• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who determines the value on a 1 of 1 card?

13 posts in this topic

If you get a 1 of 1 graded/authenticated who then can determine the value of the card? Is it the owner? What someone is willing to pay? A grading service tells you the value? How exactly is this determined since it is a 1 of 1? Professional responses only, not opinions. Thank you. 

167B75DA-4FA8-42CA-A4B4-7100F5B87545.jpeg

First, don't get a 1/1 graded unless you can choose Gem Mint as a min grade or Authenticated if not Gem. A Gem grade will add value to a 1/1, any other grade will not in nearly all cases.

As for your question about value, there's no correct answer. A 1/1 card is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If the player is a nobody or even a minor star, the card isn't going to have much value despite being a 1/1. That's actually something that's been misconstrued in the of card breakers. Cards aren't valuable just because they're numbered. They still have to be the right player and even the right set. I cringe when I see breakers freaking out over a numbered card to 25 of some backup catcher. That card is basically a common.

On 2/16/2022 at 7:48 PM, Chasebcooper said:

If you get a 1 of 1 graded/authenticated who then can determine the value of the card? Is it the owner? What someone is willing to pay? A grading service tells you the value? How exactly is this determined since it is a 1 of 1? Professional responses only, not opinions. Thank you. 

The only answers you can get to this question are opinions. 

I'd say the only way to find the true value of a 1/1 card is to put it up for auction starting at $1 and see where it goes. 

On 2/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, Kon_Jelly said:

The only answers you can get to this question are opinions. 

I'd say the only way to find the true value of a 1/1 card is to put it up for auction starting at $1 and see where it goes. 

I don’t think that is the right way to go about this. 

On 2/17/2022 at 11:11 AM, Chasebcooper said:

I don’t think that is the right way to go about this. 

What do you mean the "right" way? Realistically you have 3 options:

1. Set your own price and hope someone pays it. If they do you'll always wonder if you could have found someone to pay more.
  2. Entertain offers, take the highest that you get. If you do that you'll always wonder if the other people offering would have paid more in a competitive environment.
  3. Put it up for auction. Anyone interested can bid up to what they think it's worth. 

Number 3 is the only one that gets you to what the market truly thinks is the value of the card. The only reason you wouldn't do it is if you're afraid the real value of the card is less than what you hope it is. 

On 2/17/2022 at 10:16 AM, Kon_Jelly said:

What do you mean the "right" way? Realistically you have 3 options:

1. Set your own price and hope someone pays it. If they do you'll always wonder if you could have found someone to pay more.
  2. Entertain offers, take the highest that you get. If you do that you'll always wonder if the other people offering would have paid more in a competitive environment.
  3. Put it up for auction. Anyone interested can bid up to what they think it's worth. 

Number 3 is the only one that gets you to what the market truly thinks is the value of the card. The only reason you wouldn't do it is if you're afraid the real value of the card is less than what you hope it is. 

If you start it at $1, still people may not see the auction, and people lowball on everything, unless there was a reserve set in this manner the owner could get totally screwed. 

On 2/17/2022 at 11:39 AM, Chasebcooper said:

If you start it at $1, still people may not see the auction, and people lowball on everything, unless there was a reserve set in this manner the owner could get totally screwed. 

You'd only get "screwed" if you think the card is worth more than the market deems that it is. Just take a look at all the BINs on eBay for cards that have been there for months or years that are so out of the ballpark that no one will ever buy them. 

For instance, I'm on the hunt for a card to complete a rainbow I'm working on that is numbered to 5. The last one that was sold in a PSA 10 went for $1,000. There's one listed on eBay right now for $3,500 in a BGS 9.5. It's been there for over a year, and the owner won't even listen to a reasonable offer. He thinks it's worth $3,500, but he can think that all he wants while he holds the card and not the money. 

On 2/17/2022 at 10:53 AM, Kon_Jelly said:

You'd only get "screwed" if you think the card is worth more than the market deems that it is. Just take a look at all the BINs on eBay for cards that have been there for months or years that are so out of the ballpark that no one will ever buy them. 

For instance, I'm on the hunt for a card to complete a rainbow I'm working on that is numbered to 5. The last one that was sold in a PSA 10 went for $1,000. There's one listed on eBay right now for $3,500 in a BGS 9.5. It's been there for over a year, and the owner won't even listen to a reasonable offer. He thinks it's worth $3,500, but he can think that all he wants while he holds the card and not the money. 

So in this scenario people may sell at lower prices due to personal reasons or needing money, other scenarios will differ. So if he has it listed at $3500, then that’s the value to him and not worried about selling it for less. I can see this occurring and people only selling cards from their PC is if it’s worth it to them. Which brings us to the conclusion the cards value belongs to the holder regardless of what others have sold for. Assuming we can agree on this? 

On 2/17/2022 at 11:58 AM, Chasebcooper said:

So in this scenario people may sell at lower prices due to personal reasons or needing money, other scenarios will differ. So if he has it listed at $3500, then that’s the value to him and not worried about selling it for less. I can see this occurring and people only selling cards from their PC is if it’s worth it to them. Which brings us to the conclusion the cards value belongs to the holder regardless of what others have sold for. Assuming we can agree on this? 

Sure it may be the value to him, but if no one is willing to buy it then it's not really the value of the card, is it? He may as well list it for $1,000,000. 

That's why the only real way to find the value is to put it out there for auction and see where it lands. 

On 2/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, Kon_Jelly said:

Sure it may be the value to him, but if no one is willing to buy it then it's not really the value of the card, is it? He may as well list it for $1,000,000. 

That's why the only real way to find the value is to put it out there for auction and see where it lands. 

That’s the value to the owner though. So if a 1/1 card of a high profile player has never been sold, who determines the value? Card appraiser? I don’t think putting it into an auction would be the best suggestion because then you lose the card when you’re just trying to find out the value by putting in auction. 

an auction is a good way but might get less value then its potential, compare it to other 1 of 1's and similiar or best players in the same or similiar position and same or similiar sets of cards.  The best player sets the market and go from there. Id probably also compare it to his 1 of 10's, auto's exc. but like guy said just my opinion but opinions make the market what it is, opinions buy cards 

On 2/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

First, don't get a 1/1 graded unless you can choose Gem Mint as a min grade or Authenticated if not Gem. A Gem grade will add value to a 1/1, any other grade will not in nearly all cases.

As for your question about value, there's no correct answer. A 1/1 card is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If the player is a nobody or even a minor star, the card isn't going to have much value despite being a 1/1. That's actually something that's been misconstrued in the of card breakers. Cards aren't valuable just because they're numbered. They still have to be the right player and even the right set. I cringe when I see breakers freaking out over a numbered card to 25 of some backup catcher. That card is basically a common.

😂 agree i see these breakers jumping up and down screaming a name i never even heard of because its an orange 1 of 10 or whatever, all i can think is who's gonna spend superrefractor money on an unknown  mediocre player but whatever blows there head back