• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CSG tough on surface
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Just got this Serena Williams card back from CSG.  Sub grades are:

Corners 9

Centering 9

Edges 7

Surface 4

The overall grade was 4.5.  CSG seems very harsh on surface and there seems to be an overweighting of the surface category.  With 9's for centering and corners I expected the overall grade to be higher.  What are others experience on surfaces grading?

20220211_141203.jpg

I haven't got the card back yet, so will post more when the card comes in. My issue is more with the overweighting of the surface category.  the other 3 grades are solid at 9,9,7 but still only got a 4.5 overall.

On 2/11/2022 at 2:35 PM, robotur said:

I haven't got the card back yet, so will post more when the card comes in. My issue is more with the overweighting of the surface category.  the other 3 grades are solid at 9,9,7 but still only got a 4.5 overall.

That's how it is with all subcategories. The final grade can never be more than 1 point higher than the lowest sub grade. The most you could have hoped for with a surface grade of 4 is a 5. If they only gave it a 4.5 it probably means the surface flaw seriously impacts the visual presentation of the card. 

On 2/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, robotur said:

Just got this Serena Williams card back from CSG.  Sub grades are:

Corners 9

Centering 9

Edges 7

Surface 4

The overall grade was 4.5.  CSG seems very harsh on surface and there seems to be an overweighting of the surface category.  With 9's for centering and corners I expected the overall grade to be higher.  What are others experience on surfaces grading?

20220211_141203.jpg

A surface of 4 your missing something big, happens to the best of us? 

The long process of spending my time breaking 50 cards out of these holders I wasted my money on has begun. Under a lighted magnifier which was also used prior to sending it in the notion this card has a flaw so bad that it’s a 5.5 on surface dragging the whole grade down to 6 is an outright joke. Oh they’ll be a couple fanboys that will defend the grading here as there always is. I say you might as well throw a CSG 6 into the trash. Seeing their 9+ grades don’t even stack up favorably on ROI why send anything else here and subject your cards to this grading? This card, in this condition will either sell for far more on eBay as a raw card or will be regraded somewhere else where they have a clue. Took a one time shot here. Lesson learned. Never again. 

86BFAB0F-6414-46AD-A442-2D0E9A70C5B0.jpeg