• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Label

9 posts in this topic

I heard that CSG is looking at changing its label.  Has anyone heard anything about timing?  What do you think about the current label and how a "new" one will impact the value of those already graded?  Make the old label less appealing because there is a new shiny one or more valuable because its now rare? 

I don’t have any input as for any potential label changes from CSG, but I don’t see any label change having an impact on card values.  A collector should be valuing a slabbed card on the card’s appearance and the faith that the grade of the card is accurate.  Anyone putting a significant value on the appearance of the label is misguided, that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!  As a side note, since CSG has the best cases, they should hold the most value if all those little details mean so much to the average collector.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:26 PM, Junk Wax Addict said:

I don’t have any input as for any potential label changes from CSG, but I don’t see any label change having an impact on card values.  A collector should be valuing a slabbed card on the card’s appearance and the faith that the grade of the card is accurate.  Anyone putting a significant value on the appearance of the label is misguided, that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!  As a side note, since CSG has the best cases, they should hold the most value if all those little details mean so much to the average collector.

Conceptually, you are right and agree with you, but appearance impacts perception and the brand.  As a buyer, appearance matters.  People don't buy cars they think are ugly. Appearance plays a role in every thing and I've heard dealers say they don't like the green label.  Personally, the first time I felt and looked at a CSG slab I liked it way better than a PSA slab.  Feels more solid, more clear... I liked it! 

Regardless of what you and I think about it ... I heard the parent company CEO say they are changing the label and I hope it positively impacts the value of the "old" labels.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:26 PM, Junk Wax Addict said:

check out my response in csg chat, under ask Csg, Flip change  there changing it 

looks fine with subs, but def not without ... looks horrible with big blank space and it prevents me from subbing a lot to be completely honest.   

the comic arm CGC has changed labels throughout the years, I know once it was thought/bragged about to have a CGC Old Label comic because the thought or perception was they were graded harsher and would likely grade better today.  

On 3/19/2022 at 1:32 PM, Wreck said:

looks fine with subs, but def not without ... looks horrible with big blank space and it prevents me from subbing a lot to be completely honest.   

the comic arm CGC has changed labels throughout the years, I know once it was thought/bragged about to have a CGC Old Label comic because the thought or perception was they were graded harsher and would likely grade better today.  

100% agree. Don't think I will be submitting any more cards tbh...