• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first submission to CSG and 125 graded cards later...

42 posts in this topic

I sent in 125 cards in March of 2021 and just got them back. Well almost a year later and 125 cards all but forgotten about, I didn't get one 10 out of 125 cards. Cross me off the list for CSG. Not only will I be lucky to make my money back since the market has went down down down, but after sending 20 cards to SGC a few months before here and getting seven 10s and a way faster turnaround, I will not be submitting or paying their rejoining fee. I will go SGC all the way. With including this 400 card order I been working on for almost a year now debating where to send, I now have no question. SGC or PSA. Maybe split or something but very unhappy with these grades. Oh and attached is the lucky winner of a cleaned Jordan Love card that couldn't be graded. 🤷🏻‍♂️ God Bless.

IMG_20220205_004203039.jpg

On 2/5/2022 at 10:21 PM, Jaesin said:

I sent in 125 cards in March of 2021 and just got them back. Well almost a year later and 125 cards all but forgotten about, I didn't get one 10 out of 125 cards. Cross me off the list for CSG. Not only will I be lucky to make my money back since the market has went down down down, but after sending 20 cards to SGC a few months before here and getting seven 10s and a way faster turnaround, I will not be submitting or paying their rejoining fee. I will go SGC all the way. With including this 400 card order I been working on for almost a year now debating where to send, I now have no question. SGC or PSA. Maybe split or something but very unhappy with these grades. Oh and attached is the lucky winner of a cleaned Jordan Love card that couldn't be graded. 🤷🏻‍♂️ God Bless.

I've had seven orders through CSG and I have gotten a 10 in every single order except one (which was not a bulk order so less chance of getting one), so maybe be a little more discerning with the cards and you'll have better luck next time!

That's sweet. I personally think I am pretty good at judging my cards. Maybe CSG didn't think that but like I said 20 cards and seven 10s from a better company compared to 125 cards and 0 10s from CSG. I know who I will stick with. I appreciate your feedback though and will keep in mind if I ever use CSG again. Until their ROI trends up I'll ride the SGC wave and possibly PSA if they ever drop their sub fees. Take care.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:05 PM, Jordancards said:

Totally agree, I wish I never sent cards in. I get as much for raw cards as CSG graded cards. Even 9.5 or 10's don't command much. I have collected for over 30 years. I have seen many grading companies go belly up over the years. CSG will eventually join that list.

My guess is you didn't send in any Jordan cards then, did you? 😂

On 2/8/2022 at 12:27 AM, Jaesin said:

Oh ok thats not bad then. "I meant had some 9.5s gem mint, not 10s". Obviously you know what I meant. I really appreciate you letting me know this man. Thank you 💪

ya say ya screened your cards and went through them but how do you screen your cards without even looking at the scale and grading criteria, who pays for 125 cards to be graded and dont know that there 9.5 is a gem mint at the time. for ex. a psa 10 is 60/40 centering and csg is 50/50 all around or was now there 55/45 around its a huge difference, not including criteria for corners and surface, ya cant expect 10's if your sending in the wrong cards that dont meet there requirements. Csg is new not gonna get a huge Roi there more of a longterm play or very card specific 

On 2/17/2022 at 8:05 PM, Jordancards said:

Totally agree, I wish I never sent cards in. I get as much for raw cards as CSG graded cards. Even 9.5 or 10's don't command much. I have collected for over 30 years. I have seen many grading companies go belly up over the years. CSG will eventually join that list.

ill bet ya a T. Brady rookie they dont! 🤝 unless Russia bombs us then bet is off 

On 2/6/2022 at 1:21 AM, Jaesin said:

Anyone looking  at my posts knows what I think of this grading outfit. If you want to waste your $ spend your time breaking your cards out of the CSG holders and then repaying to have them graded elsewhere then by all means go ahead. I personally wish I could get a refund and charge them per hour it takes to bust my cards out of their worthless cases. Then add a fee for someone to come to my house and clean up the broken plastic mess. 

BC386EFB-FCF2-4F4C-A792-7C1F61B1AD48.jpeg

Edited by I dont have one

On 4/8/2022 at 4:50 PM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

Why would you send them 6.5s and 7s? Cards like that might gem at PSA, but they won't at a company that actually has standards. If these had been 8.5s and 9s and you missed by a little, I'd be more understanding. But if you expected 6.5s and 7s to be 9s and 9.5s, you might not be as sharp a collector and grader as you think you are.

Ah, because they aren’t 6.5’s and 7’s. Hello? These are the worst of the bunch. Probably should be 8 or 8.5’s That’s exactly the point. And this is only the start. I’ll be busting out 40+ 8 and 8.5’s that should be 9’s and 9.5’s as well. Pretty much all of them are a full grade to grade and half low out of line. And seeing nobody that spends their money buying graded cards agrees with you yes, give me the higher ROI at PSA every time over these worthless slabs that fetch $6 on eBay OK?

On 4/8/2022 at 4:50 PM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

Why would you send them 6.5s and 7s? Cards like that might gem at PSA, but they won't at a company that actually has standards. If these had been 8.5s and 9s and you missed by a little, I'd be more understanding. But if you expected 6.5s and 7s to be 9s and 9.5s, you might not be as sharp a collector and grader as you think you are.

those 1990 Jordans are not easy grades, Psa theres only 400 psa 10's out of 8000 of the base, and similiar to the allstar, the other looks like an 89 also super tough grades, chances are csg were accurate on them, Its a $20 box of hoops your gonna crack and resend for an 8.5!! 😂😂 sorry man but your better off buying a few boxes and looking for a gem then keep regrading especially if your plan is to sub at Psa for $100 a pop, Should think about these things before goin in the garage n cracking all your slabs, that jordan is worthless unless its a 10 anyway 6,7,8,9 makes no difference, just trying to save you money and effort, Good luck 

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I will not be re-grading the majority of these. Not worth it. You’re only seeing the start and the worst of what’s in this lot of 50. Other than that 1989-90 Fleer Jordan card which is real a nice card (7 surface grade is a freaking farce). I know most of the lower graded ones won’t get 10’s so I won’t ever re send them anyplace just to go from an 8 to a 9 even though I’m confident that would happen. Theres 3 or four of the 50 card lot I’d admit to a “miss” on on my part. That happens and it’s to be expected. Nobody gets them all right. My point was not that I expected all 10’s. It’s that the entire lot is consistently low by at least a full grade with some most likely a grade and a half. I have a about a dozen or so out of 50 that were graded 8.5 or 9 with subgrades by CSG that have a legit shot at 10’s from PSA or SGC. None of them will be going for re-grading at $100 a pop or $50 a pop or even $30 a pop. But when the value service reopens at PSA or SGC brings their prices back down to a realistic amount $20 a card those that were clearly under graded with three 9 sub grades but a ridiculous “surface” grade will be going to be crossed over or broken out and re-regraded from scratch. This lot was a first time test experiment here at $22 a card with sub grades to try it out once and compare it to others graders I’ve used in the past. And they are definitely the worst of the bunch. They flunked. Plain and simple. 

On 4/9/2022 at 6:03 PM, I dont have one said:

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I will not be re-grading the majority of these. Not worth it. You’re only seeing the start and the worst of what’s in this lot of 50. Other than that 1989-90 Fleer Jordan card which is real a nice card (7 surface grade is a freaking farce). I know most of the lower graded ones won’t get 10’s so I won’t ever re send them anyplace just to go from an 8 to a 9 even though I’m confident that would happen. Theres 3 or four of the 50 card lot I’d admit to a “miss” on on my part. That happens and it’s to be expected. Nobody gets them all right. My point was not that I expected all 10’s. It’s that the entire lot is consistently low by at least a full grade with some most likely a grade and a half. I have a about a dozen or so out of 50 that were graded 8.5 or 9 with subgrades by CSG that have a legit shot at 10’s from PSA or SGC. None of them will be going for re-grading at $100 a pop or $50 a pop or even $30 a pop. But when the value service reopens at PSA or SGC brings their prices back down to a realistic amount $20 a card those that were clearly under graded with three 9 sub grades but a ridiculous “surface” grade will be going to be crossed over or broken out and re-regraded from scratch. This lot was a first time test experiment here at $22 a card with sub grades to try it out once and compare it to others graders I’ve used in the past. And they are definitely the worst of the bunch. They flunked. Plain and simple. 

the old scale was really strict ya needed 50/50 centering to 10, and only allowed 1 side 55/45 to gem thats pretty much perfect. Just with the centering guidelines alone alot of cards were starting out with a 9 cause your centering isnt perfect, Agree csg is too harsh on surface my opinion is if ya cant see scratches or anything under a bright light its good Im not selling my cards to guys with high powered magnifiers! but the new scale slightly easier on centering 55/45 all around and with the mint plus grade should absorb some of the surface hits,meaning some things might show up under 10x magnification but still might get a mint plus and not knock ya to an automatic 9. Csg are tough Will see how they are with the new scale if things lighten up a little, Getting rid of subgrades I predict some more unhappy collectors cause now your gonna get a 7 and have no clue why! Every sub theres always at least 1 card leaving ya scratching your head wandering wtf happened but in my experience majority of the time its something I overlooked sonetimes its a tiny bit of roughness on an edge not evening whitening thats a hard pill to swallow. Goodluck man nothing wrong with buying and selling raw majority of my sales are raw cards grading isnt always as beneficial as people make it out to be just another racket