• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Submission to CSG

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I hope that the start of the new year is going well for everyone. My first submission to CSG just finalized and I should be receiving the cards tomorrow. It was marked as received on December 28th, which means that the total turnaround time was approximately 12 working days for two cards under standard service. I submitted two cards that I received from Topps, and they were in the respective one-touch case. I regret not asking for sub-grades as I am a bit perplexed as to the grade of an 8 on the Vladimir Guerrero Jr. card. Any advice and opinions on the grade would be greatly appreciated, along with the grade for the Shohei Ohtani card. Is there anything I should've done before submitting the cards to CSG?

Verify CSG Sports Card Certification | Look Up a CSG Certification Number | CSG (csgcards.com)

Verify CSG Sports Card Certification | Look Up a CSG Certification Number | CSG (csgcards.com)

While it's not always the easiest thing to hear, even a card directly received from Topps isn't assured to be a perfect 10.   Plenty of cards even sealed in their one-touch are shipped sub grade.  Centering, surface, even corners can all have imperfections or even damage directly from Topps.  You really just need to remove the cards from the One Touch and inspect closely yourself to determine what your expected results will be.

On card autos also mean the card was sent to the player, who handled it, signed it, and sent it back so it's tough for them to gem with so much activity. Regarding the Vlad Jr., there's pretty obvious whitening in some of the corners, which would prevent a gem or mint grade.

I know it must be frustrating, but I'm not sure what is perplexing about the grade. The corners on the Vlad are showing obvious signs of white, and the edges are not great either. 

Also a one-touch is not the most protective way to ship thinner stock cards. They are usually able to move around inside the case, and that can sometimes lead to damage, especially to the edges and surface. The most secure way to ship a card is in a penny sleeve and top loader or card saver. 

Hello everyone,

I also see the whitening on the corners of the Vladimir Guerrero Jr. card. I just didn’t expect it to lower the grade that much…I would’ve been fine with a 8.5 or higher personally. I now realize the importance of viewing the card in-depth before sending it in for grading. 

On 1/15/2022 at 6:13 PM, Game1001 said:

Hello everyone,

I also see the whitening on the corners of the Vladimir Guerrero Jr. card. I just didn’t expect it to lower the grade that much…I would’ve been fine with a 8.5 or higher personally. I now realize the importance of viewing the card in-depth before sending it in for grading. 

there great cards! an 8 still decent for a vlad auto really cool looking card, if you see things at first glance your lookin at least an 8 out the gate, getting hit on stuff ya cant see that good is really frustrating!! i would def get subs on auto's and nice cards like that but to each his own good luck going foward congrats on your slabs