• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY sellers

4 posts in this topic

Only recently have i become remotely interested in having cards graded after sitting on them for years and years. One thing i dont understand is on EBAY there are professional sellers who seem to sell quality cards cheap. Many look like they grade really high. So why would they offer them for only a few dollars when it seems they could get much more out of them with a high grade?

On 1/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, Cardsharp1 said:

Only recently have i become remotely interested in having cards graded after sitting on them for years and years. One thing i dont understand is on EBAY there are professional sellers who seem to sell quality cards cheap. Many look like they grade really high. So why would they offer them for only a few dollars when it seems they could get much more out of them with a high grade?

The market determines the value of cards at any given time. If they graded a card that no one wants, even in a high grade, then the price will have to reflect that. 

I think it's a combination of veteran sellers' review knowledge and the high current grading costs. Veteran collectors/sellers know what to look for RE centering and surface (which in my opinion are the two sub-grades amateur collectors fall down in with regards to submitting cards for grading -- edges and corners are much easier to evaluate). RE grading costs... PSA's lowest tier is currently $100, SGC around $30, CSG $20 if you don't want to wait 8 months, and BGS...well I am not sure what's going on with them. And those costs don't include outgoing postage, insurance, etc. So personally, I can understand a long-time seller who is willing to let a raw card go at say $25 even though a graded gem might sell for a lot more down the line.

Edited by jsrva
*SGC - typo

On 1/12/2022 at 4:30 PM, Cardsharp1 said:

i buy and sell raw cards, sometimes a card might look like itll grade high in a scan but the surface can be scratched causing the card to lose significant value when graded, theres long turn around times with graders, alot of sellers just dont want the hassle of grading, its difficult to find gems when buying raw cards breakers who buy cases of cards will sell stuff very slightly off center or top to bottom its off or the back is way off,   if the deal seems too good to be true theres probably an issue with the card, if your looking to buy gem 10's gotta overpay for raw cards or ya'll just keep gettin i learned that lesson! sometimes i get even when i do over pay